Close

3D Printing Vinyl Records?

Do you guys think it will ever be possible to 3D print vinyl records? I know today's fdm printers do not have the resolutions or small enough layer sizes to print the grooves in records that are needed in order for high quality sound. However, do you think that in the next few years we will see printers capable of doing so?

Here is a cool video showing an example

I'd be very excited if one day I could go out and buy a MakerBot capable of producing high quality sounding records? Will it ever become a reality? I don't know...

I don't think that an in-home 3D printer can exrtrude finely enough to reproduce the groove resolution the sound reproduction fidelity of a Micro-groove vinyl LP. Besides, half the joy of owning vinyl is studying the album cover!

OME

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    I don't think that an in-home 3D printer can exrtrude finely enough to reproduce the groove resolution the sound reproduction fidelity of a Micro-groove vinyl LP. Besides, half the joy of owning vinyl is studying the album cover!

OME
    Yep, took the words

Staff Engineer
    This is actually from a few years ago, but it's still pretty amazing to watch. Amanda Ghassai is one of those people that has a real spark of genius but keeps changing direction from one subject to another. Every invention I see from her just blows my mind, currently she's working on a program that automatically optimizes complex load bearing mechanical linkages based on a genetic algorythm.