Close

RepRap with most 3D printable parts

What is the reprap printer with the most 3D printable parts? Reason I am asking is because I'd love to be able to come as close as possible to 3D printing as much of my next printer as possible, and perhaps make a few duplicates for my friends and colleagues.

So are you asking to print a lot of something or as little as possible?

Technologist
    I'd say the reprap GUS simpson has to be up there. It's a cool printer and takes a ton of plastic to make.

http://reprap.org/wiki/GUS_Simpson

The smartrap requires fewer non-printed parts than most other repraps.

Technician
    I'm also big fan of the GUS Simpson by Nicholas Seward and also the rest of his designs, he is on this forum btw.
    It was his goal to have a self replicating printer that you can build for a really low price, even every time a little bigger then the previous one if I'm well informed.
    I'm playing with the idea of building one myself, also because I think it would be a great way to introduce 3D printing to my friends and family, I just need at least 48 hours in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    I'd say the reprap GUS simpson has to be up there. It's a cool printer and takes a ton of plastic to make.

http://reprap.org/wiki/GUS_Simpson
    I want one of these!!! This is a really cool printer!

I actually feel SmartRap is the best. Not overly consuming plastic. I have built one..

What I used (not complete).

Printed parts...
    Nuts and Bolts
    Steel rods
    Motors

Little else really.
    As I was building it, I was shocked how few parts it required.
    The only thing I'd like to change is the fishing wire for a GT2 belt (mod available on thingiverse).

Edit: Loving the GUS!
    Edit part 2: Looked into the GUS, has a few issues. Not worth building. Has dimensional issues (from the creator - Stated today).

You should consider the SmartRap. I've decided to build another one. So, if you need any help I'm happy to assist. This will be my second SR built.
    Fortunately I had a look around SmartFreindz git, they have another build coming out soon (4.7) and I also noticed a little picture... (could be right up your alley - Reads "Coming Soon - All Printed Structure" )

IMG_0927.jpg shot046-1.jpg

Maybe give the SR a run. They even use printed bearings (I probably won't).

So... If you decide to and need help, start a thread and I'll come assist.
    Last edited by Kingoddball; 05-04-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Technologist
    Very nice King! I'm a huge fan of the smartrap. It is a really nice printer and I'd love to build one. Maybe after I finish all the other projects I have going on. I didn't mention that one as it wasn't really the question. However, I highly recommend it as well.

The SmartRap is actually pretty cool... (nerd style cool).
    I found some parts in the GIT - Spool holder and a few other parts I do not know what they do (herringbone parts and a toothed rail??).
    I'm going to start building one today (printing parts anyway) and see how it looks and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by f.larsen View Post
    So are you asking to print a lot of something or as little as possible?
    Well, I want a printer where the majority of the parts needed can be 3D printed