Close

Engineer

NASA 3D printing In Space: Live Google Hangout

Hey guys, if you are online and see this, NASA is currently holding a live discussion about how they will use 3D printing in space. This hangout started at noon EST. On hand for the discussion will be the following:

• LaNetra Tate, Space Technology Mission Directorate program executive for additive manufacturing of NASA
    • Niki Werkheiser, Made in Space integration manager for NASA
    • Michael Chen, CSO for Made In Space

There are some very interesting points that were made in this hangout. Thanks for sharing. 3D Printing is going to be huge for space exploration indeed.

Staff Engineer
    I notice they went into the possibility of printing metals and other materials, I wonder if the metal clays used in some metal printers could be adapted to cure in vaccuum, or if ceramics in general behave similarly in vaccuum as they do in atmosphere. If so, "firing" a ceramic print could be as simple as sending it out of the airlock and exposing it to sunlight. With ceramic printing we already have both metal, nonmetal materials as well as inherently strong and heat resistant properties of both, and a lack of toxic gasses from the printing process.

Also, Niki mentioned that there is no natural convection in zero-g, which kind of blows my mind a bit, though it makes complete sense.