Close

Designing a new printer - Looking for an experienced consult

I have been designing a new printer and the first prototype is nearing completion. I am about to start a production prototype.

My issue is that I do not have extensive enough experience in 3D printing; I am like many, a hobbyist. The design is very unique and interesting, as well as durable and affordable(for its size). I would like to consult with someone who has had experience with different printers, as well as an understanding of the community behind them.

The reason I am looking to consult is so that I can better understand what people want specifically from a printer and what values they put on what features. I prefer to talk instead of type so Skype or phone would be best. If you think you can help out, throw me a message.

If anyone else wants to just throw out features they like in printers feel free to post them.

Edit: No response so far, still looking for help.
    Last edited by Asor; 04-27-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Hi. I'd like a multicolor extruder with magenta, cyan and yellow filament (maybe also black) so you can mix all colors. Just kiddin (but who knows it may become possible some day). But i wish you good luck, we sure need more people in the community like you, innovating 3d printing!

Post some pictures so that we know what you've got already.

OME

I actually have an interesting idea where you have a dual extruder with only one hotend (2 holes though) and one motor. I don't think I am going to include it in this design though. I want to get this done in a reasonable time and this idea would need a lot of testing. I think true color mixing is near on the horizon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i22bRuBn7c is very close. he doesn't actually bend them though, I bet the plastic pigments don't blend logically just like how some acrylic paints don't.

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Post some pictures so that we know what you've got already.

OME
    I'm making videos and taking pictures but I don't think I want to go public with it yet, maybe when I start the production prototype. It has many novel features that allow me to get a large print area for a low cost and I'm afraid of it being utilized in something else before I even get my foot in the door. I will say that it has a 23" x 23" x 18+" print area and should sell for around $1,500. It can draw right now, but it isn't extruding yet. I am adding end stops and homing switches today.

Quote Originally Posted by Asor View Post
    I'm making videos and taking pictures but I don't think I want to go public with it yet, maybe when I start the production prototype. It has many novel features that allow me to get a large print area for a low cost and I'm afraid of it being utilized in something else before I even get my foot in the door. I will say that it has a 23" x 23" x 18+" print area and should sell for around $1,500. It can draw right now, but it isn't extruding yet. I am adding end stops and homing switches today.
    Cool stuff man! I'm also contemplating to build a printer but only as a hobby project. I want to get rid of the z-axis threads and replace them by 2 belts on two sides of an axle driven by one motor using some gears for force.
    What do you think about that idea?
    bye now!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Cool stuff man! I'm also contemplating to build a printer but only as a hobby project. I want to get rid of the z-axis threads and replace them by 2 belts on two sides of an axle driven by one motor using some gears for force.
    What do you think about that idea?
    bye now!
    I dislike belts because of the slack+springiness vs. tension+resistance issue. This is a very big problem with a printer as large as mine (I have 0 belts or chains now). I do believe that threaded rod feels cheap and unsuited to the task, though I can't think of any superior alternatives. I would highly suggest building your own printer though, it is extremely fun and rewarding.

The reason most people like threaded rod (or acme thread, or ball screws depending on the price) is because it can be attached right to the motor shank and you don't need to do any gear reduction. The force to keep it at rest is 0 (except for ball screw), though that is just from the friction in the system so I don't know if I would call that a benefit. If I was you, I would stick with the belt idea since it is interesting and would be a fun project though I doubt it will provide any benefit over threaded rod. You may also consider putting a counter weight on the other side of the belt to cancel out the weight of whatever your z-axis is moving.

On a similar topic, I have been playing with an idea lately. It is also a z-axis drive but it is much stupider. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTN_3AQaAo This is a terrible way to do the z-axis because of the friction of that device and also because the z-motor moves with the z-axis, increasing the moving mass. The only benefit is it is neat and it could be 3D printed pretty easily. (also that YouTube channel is awesome)