Close

Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Student
    Add tstockgl on Thingiverse
    Has anyone experienced any issues with everything locking up after the last bed probe? Upon the last probe it just locks everything up and the probe does not retract. I've run into this multiple times now. After I power off and then on again, then run G28 / G29 again, it is fine. It seems to happen after I've run the G29 probing matrix several times without powering off. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Tyson

Doesn't work for me...
    I get this error:

Marlin_main.cpp:1990:2: error: #endif without #if

Can you help me?

Thank you,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by tstockgl View Post
    Bed Height Topography:
    +0.05366 +0.04641 --0.00784 --0.15734
    --0.03834 +0.09716 +0.01116 --0.18734
    --0.00184 +0.05691 +0.05541 --0.00984
    +0.00866 +0.04991 +0.04566 --0.02234
    You have a small bulge at the center of your bed. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it is good to know it is there so you can position parts so they aren't affected by it. It also looks like you have some weirdness in the corner. The corner starts at -.15, and then goes to -.18 and then almost to mean. It looks like if you adjust the top right corner, you will be almost level (even without the Auto Bed Leveling). The Auto Bed Leveling can certainly handle what you have, but the less it has to do, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    You have a small bulge at the center of your bed. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it is good to know it is there so you can position parts so they aren't affected by it. It also looks like you have some weirdness in the corner. The corner starts at -.15, and then goes to -.18 and then almost to mean. It looks like if you adjust the top right corner, you will be almost level (even without the Auto Bed Leveling). The Auto Bed Leveling can certainly handle what you have, but the less it has to do, the better.
    See, this is the sort of stuff we occasionally talk about on the irc channel and why ABL is starting to get a very bad reputation because it can compensate for bulges like they have but much worse, or like I had on a huge scale, it just can't handle it.

If ABL worked the way it should it would know to compensate for any bulges, valleys, hills, or even mountains and I think by it not being able to handle anything but a near, if not exactly, flat bed is why people do believe it is averaging. This is why I needed 9x9 (btw, 9x9 no longer worked on the fork you sent me to as the Arduino must have ran out of memory when it finished with the 9x9 matrix) to help by having more points for it to get a better average.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    See, this is the sort of stuff we occasionally talk about on the irc channel and why ABL is starting to get a very bad reputation because it can compensate for bulges like they have but much worse, or like I had on a huge scale, it just can't handle it.
    Auto Bed Leveling can handle his issue just fine. But that is really besides the point. That top right corner is a 1/2 of a layer height below where it should be. The ABL will compensate and shrink that amount by a lot. Auto Bed Leveling was never intended to handle a bed that is not flat. It was meant to handle a bed that was not level. But as long as we are doing the probing to level the bed, it is nice to have a map of the bed's topology.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    If ABL worked the way it should it would know to compensate for any bulges, valleys, hills, or even mountains and I think by it not being able to handle anything but a near, if not exactly, flat bed is why people do believe it is averaging.
    The good news is the Marlin code base is Open Source. Many people are getting very good results with Auto Bed Leveling and are happy with it. But that is the beauty of Open Source. You want it to do something other than what it does do. You can go make the change and then give it back to the world so they can benefit from your vision and work.

I'll set aside some time to help you test your improved version when you get it done.
    Last edited by Roxy; 01-24-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Auto Bed Leveling can handle his issue just fine. But that is really besides the point. That top right corner is a 1/2 of a layer height below where it should be. The ABL will compensate and shrink that amount by a lot. Auto Bed Leveling was never intended to handle a bed that is not flat. It was meant to handle a bed that was not level. But as long as we are doing the probing to level the bed, it is nice to have a map of the bed's topology.

The good news is the Marlin code base is Open Source. Many people are getting very good results with Auto Bed Leveling and are happy with it. But that is the beauty of Open Source. You want it to do something other than what it does do. You can go make the change and then give it back to the world so they can benefit from your vision and work.

I'll set aside some time to help you test your improved version when you get it done.
    ABL was never meant for a Cartesian printer to begin with and it is those printers that people seem to complain the most about with ABL. As far as making a new branch of ABL I don't need to, nor wish to, as I have a flat, and as level of a, bed as a non pro machine, like this i3 rework, will ever see. I print exceptionally well without a need of ABL. I still use ABL to get the matrix so I can see if I need to readjust anything about once a month but that is it.

Seriously, if any Cartesian based printer is using ABL the owner needs to step back and see why they are having to use it and fix that issue. My issue was the warped MK2B but I went and purchased a heat spreader and that solved the issue of a non flat/non level surface that I had.

Student
    Cool thanks for the input. Yes still tinkering with the settings and what not. I just converted over to "Clough42's Itty bitty Double Extruder with auto bed leveling" plus trying out your "Enhanced G28/G29 code" So a lot of variables to test out. So far I really like your ABL code variant!
    Thanks again!
    Tyson

Student
    Has anyone experienced any issues with everything locking up after the last bed probe? Upon the last probe it just locks everything up and the probe does not retract. I've run into this multiple times now. After I power off and then on again, then run G28 / G29 again, it is fine. It seems to happen after I've run the G29 probing matrix several times without powering off. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Tyson
    More info on this issue:
    After testing some more, this always happens the second time I run the G29 command from pronterface without doing a powerdown/powerup. And it always locks up after the last bed probe. Right before the retraction. Thought it might be a volatge issue with the 5v servo, but now I'm not so sure.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tyson

More info on this issue:
    After testing some more, this always happens the second time I run the G29 command from pronterface without doing a powerdown/powerup. And it always locks up after the last bed probe. Right before the retraction. Thought it might be a volatge issue with the 5v servo, but now I'm not so sure.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tyson
    I can say I never had that issue even now when I use it just for looking at my numbers.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZippyMan View Post
    Doesn't work for me...
    I get this error:

Marlin_main.cpp:1990:2: error: #endif without #if

Can you help me?

Thank you,
    Justin
    Hey Justin, Try adding this line right before the "case 30: // G30 Single Z Probe" line of your Marlin_main.cpp code: (add this after you have updated with Roxy's Enhanced G29 code)

#ifndef Z_PROBE_SLED

It was missing in my version.

Hope that helps.
    Tyson

Page 56 of 76 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast