Close

3D Scanning Tips: Post yours here

I saw a post by a man on google plus, and thought I'd share because his ideas and suggestions seem to have helped me get better quality scans.

1. Clean = bad. For best results I splatter paint and scribble on the object. More details gives the photogrammetry tool points to "lock-on" and then track across several frames.

2. Use something with a lot of detail as the base (like a book)

3. Uniform light across all photos. I use a DSLR with an external flash pointing up, bounced off the ceiling.
    Does anyone have anything to add? I've really foudn that putting the splatter of paint on my objects, makes for cleaner scans. Fascinating, right?

Here is an example (from the same guy on google plus)

Interesting tip. It makes sense to bring the level of detail on the object up as high as possible while keeping the smallest features resolvable by the camera and image detection software. As long as the object is not too big or the camera resolution too low, you could use that kind of spray paint that results in a textured stone finish to achieve an even and high level of detail.

Student
    I've found that scanning any shiney or metalic surface doesn't work so well. It's better to do something dull. At least in my experience with my cousins digitizer scanner.