Close

Will we ever see extremely large build size 3D printers?

Do you think we will ever see extremely large 3D printers with build sizes in the 5 foot x 5 foot x 5 foot range? I haven't seen any yet. Are there any that exists? I just think there could be the possibility of building some pretty cool parts, especially for automobiles if we could get printers to print this big. Is it even possible?

Student
    Yes, there are printers that have a build volume even larger than this. A new automaker is looking into setting up HUBs around the US to manufacture small cars via 3d printing. Also, in China, they are manufacturing small homes (basic square design) with a giant 3d printer. Pretty amazing.

Staff Engineer
    There are a few concrete-extruding "printers" that are truly massive as Bennyboo pointed out. The biggest traditional FDM printer I can think of is the Kamermaker that's being used at the 3D Print Canal House site. It's roughly 3 stories tall and has a build envelope of 2m x 2m x 3.5m... Big enough to entirely print a small room.

I have no idea how much it cost to build or if there's any way to get things printed on it, since it's currently occupied with making a full-scale plastic house.

Will we ever see extremely large build size 3D printers?

Yes, Very soon.