Close

Creator X and Cura

Does anyone have the settings that I can use for cura with creator x?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    When I set it up I'll let you know, I actually downloaded this yetserday after seeing an advertisement for printing photos in 3D, so Ive been toying with it most of the morning, so far the replicator settings seem to be the go (looking at the platform dimensions)

in my 2 day opinion... Cura looks freakin awesome for control of your prints, has all the features you would want, but the interface sucks and is really clumsy to navigate and maneuver your objects.

Student
    I also have been looking at CURA, but also can't get it to see my CREX. looking forward to see how you git 'r done. (Sorry, bad pun).

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Cura cannot print directly to the machine, and to be honest the Gcode that comes out of it isn't terribly sound either.

It's a shame, it has really great features!!! all the things I need but when I use the Gcode that comes from it I often get errors and have to manually fix the Gcode.

Student
    Ok, now I'm confused. If it won't print directly, then why does it need a USB (com)port? Unless you mean it won't connect to a FlashForge. I am also looking to convert photographs to 3d. I guess it looks more and more like I will have to go to simplify3d.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretonthelus View Post
    Ok, now I'm confused. If it won't print directly, then why does it need a USB (com)port? Unless you mean it won't connect to a FlashForge. I am also looking to convert photographs to 3d. I guess it looks more and more like I will have to go to simplify3d.
    Cura was not meant for the Flashforge - it has USB and other connectivity for the Ultimaker, which the firmware that ships with it, was designed for.

We just have the option of utilising the Gcode and features it has and exporting to X3G and printing directly on the machine. I do not recommend using it's Gcode in repG or makerware as you will get errors, but the x3G format seems sound to copy to your SD and print.

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Cura

There are probably alot of ones that will work with the Flashforge, you just need to find one that uses the Replicator 2x Dual firmware. I have been using Replicator G and Makerware forever, What one can't do, the other can and vice versa.
    Last edited by Geoff; 07-18-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    how do you make x3g files with cura ?
    Haven't managed that yet - I would love to use cura. makerware just has so many omissions. And you think cura has a hard to use intyerface ?
    At least it's slicer settings aren't in a text file that won't load on windows 7
    ie: I have no access to the indepth slicer settings in makerware.

And given replicatorg takes a couple of days to slicer a simple object - I've just been avoiding it.

does anyone knows the settings for flashforge (or recommended) when i use replicator to make the x3g and try to print the bed goes all the way down and continues "crashing" any suggestions? thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah, well it's complicated and I still haven't managed to get a working x3g file yet.
    there are a couple of threads around.

basically you insert custom gcode for the start and end for the program to use (slic3r generally - not sure it works with cura) you then run that through gpx and that generates an x3g file. This file should then work on your flashforge.
    It doesn't on mine and I've had all sorts of weird results.

Oh yeah - you're also supposed to update your firmware to sailfish ? swordfish ? marlin ? some kind of big game fish anyway - I've yet to find anything on the machines settings or makerware that mentions a type of fish - so have no idea how people know what they're running. I've also not managed to get that to work yet either :-)
    I think I'm still running haddock.