Close

How to make your own 3D model for dual extrusion?

I cannot find any information regarding this on the internet. What program to use, the procedure, etc.

I currently use Autodesk Inventor to design everything for single extrusion.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that shows how to design for dual extrusion?

Thanks!!!!!

This is how I understand it. YMMV.

1. Create your object in Inventor using two materials. These will correspond to the two extruders on your printer.
    2. Export your design as a multiple-material AMF file from Inventor.
    3. Download and set up Slic3r, configuring for two extruders. The first extruder will print your first material; the second your second material. Check the Slic3r web site (slic3r.org) for information and tutorials.
    4. Export gcode from Slic3r, load into your printer and print.
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

It's difficult to be more explicit without knowing the toolchain you use (the other software packages beside Inventor) and what printer you have, but the above is a procedure that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    This is how I understand it. YMMV.

1. Create your object in Inventor using two materials. These will correspond to the two extruders on your printer.
    2. Export your design as a multiple-material AMF file from Inventor.
    3. Download and set up Slic3r, configuring for two extruders. The first extruder will print your first material; the second your second material. Check the Slic3r web site (slic3r.org) for information and tutorials.
    4. Export gcode from Slic3r, load into your printer and print.
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

It's difficult to be more explicit without knowing the toolchain you use (the other software packages beside Inventor) and what printer you have, but the above is a procedure that should work.
    Hmm, it seems I cannot create an AMF file from Inventor.. google searching ;AMF file for Inventor; doesn't come up with much, besides someone asking about it on a Autodesk forum - and getting a dumb response (someone posted a link to another thread, which had NOTHING to do with AMF format..)

Can you get from Inventor to Autodesk MeshMixer? You can export AMF from MeshMixer.