Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum (first post) and I am going to do some searching around and see if I can find some answers to the plethora of questions that I have. However, I'm also going to ask in this thread in case anyone is interested in helping me out.

I'll start off with a small backstory...

I am a video game nerd. I collect video games and consoles. I've played video games my whole life (I was born in '83) and I now have 3 kids who are all following in my footsteps (not to mention 2 out of 3 step children as well) and I have another baby on the way (yes, 7 kids all together ) OK I didn't mean the angry face... lol. I self-taught myself HTML and began building some webpages with a couple of friends about 15 years ago. I got really into Photoshop, (at the time Macromedia) Flash, learned some javascript, C++, and was basically on the path to begin a career in some sort of technological field before my girlfriend at that time announced she was pregnant, so I went to trade school, studied automotive collision repair, and have been doing body work on cars for almost 15 years now. It pays the bills.

With some free time I have now, plus the kids don't want me around that much (pre-teens, lol) I have ventured back into video games. I want to essentially build repro carts, design some handhelds, just basically make all kinds of cool stuff. So, I have been introduced (and fascinated) with the world of 3d printing.

So, last year, I ordered a 3d printer off of ebay, and received it on the 4th of July weekend (I don't know if this board is an international forum... but I live in the USA.) I assembled the printer using photos off the web (I am pretty handy and crafty) and mainly stored the printer up until about a month ago when I got a fire to get this thing completed.

So, here is where I am. I have a HICTOP Prusa i3 3DP08. I was able to assemble it in a weekend. I'm very meticulous so I made sure everything is assembled correctly; everything is tight how it is supposed to be, and everything is greased and wired and etc. I am at the point where I am testing (calibrating) it all out. The x- and y-axis work perfectly. Then we get to the double z motors. These things honestly sound like grinding and binding and not turning like they should. I disconnect both threaded rods from the motors; same thing happens. I removed the motors from the maching and connected them... still the same. I hook the motors up (1 at a time) to the x-axis plug in; works like a dream. So, I know it isn't a malfunction of the motor(s).

So now I am trying to indulge into learning what firmware to use... what software... how to connect the printer to the computer. Honestly, I am basically lost. I am mainly looking for this easy "download this super easy program, install it, hit connect, control your printer, and bam everything works!" but I would be naive to believe something like this exists lol. I mainly just need some coaching, and help, from veterans and people who have experienced similar problems and can point me in the right direction.

I initially downloaded Arduino drivers, but my computer doesn't recognize the printer (still). However, when I downloaded Repetier-Host, then Repetier-Server, it tells me it is connected (through server) but after that I can't figure anything out. Like, how do I get the z motors to work? I then downloaded Cura, I downloaded Marlin... I installed Cura, it says there is no printer to connect to. I haven't even installed Marlin... I know I don't need *all* these programs, but I'm looking for one that is preferably easy-to-use. I'm looking to see what is the popular choices out there... why I should use it, and if it's possible to explain in a very detailed explanation on what I need to do.

I'm running Windows 10, my computer is home-made: Gigabyte mobo, 16gb ram, intel i5 3.2ghz (usually people want the pc specs lol)

I really am new to the whole arduino world. I don't even know where to begin. I just know that I am highly interested in learning about 3d printing, learning this printer, and hoping I can build my skills and be of service to this community when I get to that point.

Thanks guys.