Close

Spare parts for the i3 variants

Just a quick suggestion:

Before you start to assemble your i3 printer frame, take the pieces that make up the extruder mount and the top piece of the X-idler where the Z-axis end stop switch actuator screw goes through.

Put then on your document scanner, in the centre of the scanner be, and scan them. Save the scans as jpeg files.

If you need replacements at any time, you can load the jpeg into your CAD program and draw up a new part by first making a 2D drawing by tracing over it with the polyline tool, then extruding the 2D drawing vertically 6mm. Then save as an stl file and away you go!

Old Man Emu

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    That's a great tip using a scanner! Never would have thought of that, Thanks OME.

Great idea, I wonder how FedEx Office would feel about me doing this. I figured it would be a good idea to print the printable parts once I get my i3v, though I assumed that I would be able to find the stl files someplace, I've seen a few on thingiverse, I assume the stls aren't all available as one download someplace?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by eghm View Post
    Great idea, I wonder how FedEx Office would feel about me doing this. I figured it would be a good idea to print the printable parts once I get my i3v, though I assumed that I would be able to find the stl files someplace, I've seen a few on thingiverse, I assume the stls aren't all available as one download someplace?
    Links to the i3v 3D printed parts are in the manual on the Extruder assembly page. My kit hasn't arrived yet, but looking at all the assembly videos it appears the i3v only uses 3D printed parts on the extruder.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Links to the i3v 3D printed parts are in the manual on the Extruder assembly page. My kit hasn't arrived yet, but looking at all the assembly videos it appears the i3v only uses 3D printed parts on the extruder.
    You're right, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Just a quick suggestion:

Before you start to assemble your i3 printer frame, take the pieces that make up the extruder mount and the top piece of the X-idler where the Z-axis end stop switch actuator screw goes through.

Put then on your document scanner, in the centre of the scanner be, and scan them. Save the scans as jpeg files.

If you need replacements at any time, you can load the jpeg into your CAD program and draw up a new part by first making a 2D drawing by tracing over it with the polyline tool, then extruding the 2D drawing vertically 6mm. Then save as an stl file and away you go!

Old Man Emu
    This is worth doing! However, I have a little different perspective. The i3 and its variants are Open Source. The people selling you the i3 kit or printer leveraged the Open Source community and their contributions. They are obligated under the Open Source license to provide the source files for what they sell to their customers. You should be insisting that accurate, up to date files are available for all the parts!

1+ all open source files should be available including the laser cut parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    This is worth doing! However, I have a little different perspective. The i3 and its variants are Open Source. The people selling you the i3 kit or printer leveraged the Open Source community and their contributions. They are obligated under the Open Source license to provide the source files for what they sell to their customers. You should be insisting that accurate, up to date files are available for all the parts!

Oh! I'm not used to this Open Source concept. I thought that each manufacturer's printer would be unique, so individual parts would be hard to come by. I used the method I did to ensure that the part I printed would fit. Actually, I did modify the part a little by extending the tongue that has the hole for the endstop screw.

OME