Close

Threaded View

Technician

Top Five Tips - Makerfarm 8" i3v Maintenance

Top Five Tips

• Zip Tie the Z Stepper Motors -
      If you haven't put small zip ties around the clear plastic tubing that connects the Z steppers and the threaded rods, do it now. As the Z steppers warm up, they expand the plastic, making the grip it has on the threaded rod loose, so it slips. This can make you have to re-level the bed frequently for no apparent reason. Don't forget to re-level the X idler and then go through the Z stop setting process, and finally the bed leveling. Alternately, you can purchase REAL couplings with set/grub screws for around $10 for the pair.
    • Nut Traps Under the Bed -
      If you haven't added nut traps to the bottom of your bed, do them now. I used carpenter's glue, and held them in place with tiny claps until they were dry. One has popped loose, but I re-glued it. Crazy glue might be better, but you don't want the M3 locking nut to become a permanent fixture of your bed.
    • Thumbwheel -
      Find a thumbwheel you like and print it out to make navigating the LCD panel easier. I also covered the piezo buzzer, because I hate the noise it makes.
    • Vibration Reduction -
      I used a piece of 1/4" cork tile for under the bed, but it came four to a pack, so I used the other three pieces as sound dampeners under the frame of the unit. Reduced noise CONSIDERABLY!
    • Adjust the Y Stepper Gear -
      The gear was too far to the end of the spindle, and I found that the idler on the end of the frame wound up letting the belt rub against the wood. Moved it about 1/8" closer to the motor. No more friction.
    Last edited by 1stage; 04-28-2014 at 04:23 PM.