Close

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Did you get through a print with the new setup? Any problems?
    Yes I managed a print no worries. I still have to tune the printer for better settings for the filament feed as I have just guessed at the feed rate for that.
    The printer is working fine.
    I tried lowering the raise before probing and had to put it back up to 10 because it dragged along the bed if I went down to 5. Works well on 10.

Next will be to finish off the new hardware and test the same on that to see if there is any further improvement.
    All the new designs and printing has been done now for two more machines to play with and get the setting right, I am assembling them now.

Picture-058.jpg

Picture-049.jpg

Wow! That looks like it is going to be a nice printer!!! I wish my printer looked that clean!

But what is your Z_PROBE_OFFSET set at? I thought is was under 1mm ? If it is the same as what was in the Configuration.h file when you started this thread it is at .7 mm. It would seem to me you could lower the 10 down to 1 or 2 mm? I wonder if there is some other place in the firmware that is lowering the nozzle after we used the do_blocking_move_relative() to raise it? It might be worth while to watch it carefully after the last probe to see what the nozzle does and maybe we can tweak that too so you can speed up the probing (because you are not raising the nozzle so much) ?

But all that aside.... I'm glad you got it working!

And now... Because we are on opposite sides of the planet... I'm off to sleep. So I won't see any reply for 9 hours (I want to sleep in tomorrow!)
    Last edited by Roxy; 04-30-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Technician
    Wow! That looks like it is going to be a nice printer!!! I wish my printer looked that clean!

But what is your Z_PROBE_OFFSET set at? I thought is was under 1mm ? If it is the same as what was in the Configuration.h file when you started this thread it is at .7 mm. It would seem to me you could lower the 10 down to 1 or 2 mm? I wonder if there is some other place in the firmware that is lowering the nozzle after we used the do_blocking_move_relative() to raise it? It might be worth while to watch it carefully after the last probe to see what the nozzle does and maybe we can tweak that too so you can speed up the probing (because you are not raising the nozzle so much) ?

But all that aside.... I'm glad you got it working!

And now... Because we are on opposite sides of the planet... I'm off to sleep. So I won't see any reply for 9 hours (I want to sleep in tomorrow!)
    I had to change a few things, but this is how it is setup now.

#endif // AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID

// these are the offsets to the probe relative to the extruder tip (Hotend - Probe)
    #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 //-25
    #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 //-29
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -9 //-12.35

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_HOMING 4 // (in mm) Raise Z before homing (G28) for Probe Clearance.
    // Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 8000 // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING 10 //How much the extruder will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
    #define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 5 //How much the extruder will be raised when traveling from between next probing points

After you made some changes, the positive offset didn't work any more and I had to go back to a negative offset (I don't understand all this)
    Anyway it is working fine like this. I wonder what would happen if I tried to use these settings on one of my i3 machines that has a servo?

Quote Originally Posted by regpye View Post
    I had to change a few things, but this is how it is setup now.

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_HOMING 4 // (in mm) Raise Z before homing (G28) for Probe Clearance.
    // Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 8000 // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING 10 //How much the extruder will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
    #define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 5 //How much the extruder will be raised when traveling from between next probing points

After you made some changes, the positive offset didn't work any more and I had to go back to a negative offset (I don't understand all this)
    Anyway it is working fine like this. I wonder what would happen if I tried to use these settings on one of my i3 machines that has a servo?
    This doesn't seem right. It may be an issue with the do_blocking_move_relative() not having the correct information available to it about where to move. I don't know.

I suggest you do a G28 followed by a G29 and then a M114 to ask where it thinks the nozzle is. I think we are going to see an incorrect response on the M114.

And this doesn't make sense to me... After you got the new firmware ported over with your changes, I only gave you that one set of things to change and it started working? Did you try to fold the previous changes in also?

We may want to add a little more diagnostic code the Z-Probes so we can see where things are going wrong.

Technician
    This doesn't seem right. It may be an issue with the do_blocking_move_relative() not having the correct information available to it about where to move. I don't know.

I suggest you do a G28 followed by a G29 and then a M114 to ask where it thinks the nozzle is. I think we are going to see an incorrect response on the M114.

And this doesn't make sense to me... After you got the new firmware ported over with your changes, I only gave you that one set of things to change and it started working? Did you try to fold the previous changes in also?

We may want to add a little more diagnostic code the Z-Probes so we can see where things are going wrong.
    SENDING:G28
    At end of homeaxis(Z) raising nozzle.
    At end of homeaxis(Z) done raising nozzle.
    SENDING:G29
    At end of run_z_probe() raising nozzle.
    At end of run_z_probe() done raising nozzle.
    Bed x: 1.00 y: 1.00 z: 11.78
    Bed x: 158.00 y: 1.00 z: 8.40
    Bed x: 158.00 y: 158.00 z: 8.08
    Bed x: 1.00 y: 158.00 z: 11.19
    Eqn coefficients: a: -0.02 b: -0.00 d: 11.74
    planeNormal x: 0.02 y: 0.00 z: 1.00
    echo:endstops hit: Z:6.19
    SENDING:M114
    X:0.77 Y:157.97 Z:9.00 E:0.00 Count X: 0.95 Y:157.99 Z:8.52

Technician
    Did you get through a print with the new setup? Any problems?
    Printed OK, just need to fine tune because I just guessed the filament flow (close enough for a test)

SENDING:G28
    SENDING:G29
    Bed x: 1.00 y: 1.00 z: 11.78
    Bed x: 158.00 y: 1.00 z: 8.40
    Bed x: 158.00 y: 158.00 z: 8.08
    Bed x: 1.00 y: 158.00 z: 11.19
    Eqn coefficients: a: -0.02 b: -0.00 d: 11.74
    planeNormal x: 0.02 y: 0.00 z: 1.00
    echo:endstops hit: Z:6.19
    SENDING:M114
    X:0.77 Y:157.97 Z:9.00 E:0.00 Count X: 0.95 Y:157.99 Z:8.52
    OK... That looks rational... Those Z numbers look about where we would expect them to be given we told the probe routines to lift up 10 mm after the measurement is taken.

Technician
    OK... That looks rational... Those Z numbers look about where we would expect them to be given we told the probe routines to lift up 10 mm after the measurement is taken.
    I will continue with the two hardware builds for a few days and then load up the current firmware and settings to each machine and continue with the testing. I have a couple of different ideas with the hardware that I feel will improve the stability of the physical parts of the machine. Problem is that this is always a continuing development, no sooner one idea comes to mind and is worked on, a better idea comes into mind and needs to be tried too. (love it)

I will continue with the two hardware builds for a few days and then load up the current firmware and settings to each machine and continue with the testing. I have a couple of different ideas with the hardware that I feel will improve the stability of the physical parts of the machine. Problem is that this is always a continuing development, no sooner one idea comes to mind and is worked on, a better idea comes into mind and needs to be tried too. (love it)
    When things stabilize a little bit it would be good to see the .STL files for the extruder. I like the way the Wade's extruder lets you pick which hot-end you have and it generates an appropriate base so you can just plug in what you will be using. If yours is setup for a J-Head I could just print one up and play with it.

Technician
    When things stabilize a little bit it would be good to see the .STL files for the extruder. I like the way the Wade's extruder lets you pick which hot-end you have and it generates an appropriate base so you can just plug in what you will be using. If yours is setup for a J-Head I could just print one up and play with it.
    The extruder I designed for Bowden delivery. The hotend is my own design also and is similar in the way it mounts to a J-head.
    The extruders I have designed in right hand and left hand versions so that the hose can come out on which ever side is most appropriate for your design.
    A pneumatic fitting is used to connect the Bowden hose to both the extruder and another one to the hotend.
    If you want the STL files send me a PM with an email address or can they be put up here somehow?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast