Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Open Source 3D design tools?

Hi, I just got a 3D printer and now I want to try my hand at designing some stuff. Does anyone know if there are any open source 3d design tools out there, that will allow me to design something and then export or print an stl file?

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    There are so many options depending on what you are hoping to achieve?

I'd have a look at design spark mechanical for traditional CAD modeling.

Maybe have a play with the trial of Cubify Sculpt if you want to do something more organic.

Blender and openscad are the two I've found. openscad builds objects using scripts and other source files. Blender is more of a 3d design tool and is probably what I'll get into more once I get a printer. It has so many modes and capabilities that it's rather daunting but there are at least a few video tutorials on using Blender for 3d print modelling.

Quote Originally Posted by clarityyy View Post
    Hi, I just got a 3D printer and now I want to try my hand at designing some stuff. Does anyone know if there are any open source 3d design tools out there, that will allow me to design something and then export or print an stl file?
    I would suggest you look first at Open_SCAD. It is a weird mix of textual and programmatic expression for what you are modeling. I was a little bit resistant to give it a chance. But now I'm sold on it. And in fact, all the Prusa plastic parts are done using Open_SCAD. There is a reason why that is the case. It is very powerful.

It is very possible you will end up with other constraints that push you into a different tool-set. But Open_SCAD is very easy to learn and it certainly won't hurt you to head down that path initially. Of course... Everybody here is going to offer their own opinion, but my guess is 1/2 of the people that weigh in here will be giving a thumbs up to Open_SCAD!

Technician
    I've been using Blender quite a bit, but I just discovered Open SCAD and have really been enjoying that a bit more.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Autodesk's Fusion 360 is pretty awesome. And free for non commercial use.

I've been using 123d design from Autodesk (free). It was easy for me to learn, and the latest version works great. The last version was not stable on my computer system.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Design Spark is another one that is free and pretty good.

Fusion 360 just had a huge upgrade in the last few days. Lots of new additions and some 3d print features added in its Mesh Mixer.

Technician
    Don't forget SketchUp, and lately I'm playing around with Sculptris, low learning curve and great for quick sculpting.

Im looking for something more mechanical. I've tried a few listed and they dontbseem to be what im looking for. Basically all I want is a package that has a good ruler, simple primitives, and easy to point to point model.

I don't know if I can model in my preferred modeler and import into another program and scale to size there.

Right now im kind of at a loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast