Close

Student

Intricate (and eerie) 3D Printed Masks

Hello! These were my very first 3D models and first attempts at 3D printing. This masks are also the first of the Lumecluster Dreamer/Nightmare Mask Series.

The masks portrays the unpredictability of the creative and entrepreneurial Dreamer’s wonderlands. Its flowing asymmetry stands for the Dreamer’s questions, curiosities, and uncertainties just as much as their potential for discovering clarity and hope. Overall, the mask aims to raise a discussion on how we choose to wear our dreams (or nightmares) at rest, work, play, and life. The design is originally derived from my fluidly chaotic black and white ink illustrations.

Would love to know what you think. Hope to get more up soon

dreamermask_lumecluster.jpgmask_3.jpgmask_top_closeup.jpg

fear_nightmaremask_lumecluster.jpgbacklit_left.jpg

Staff Engineer
    I'm curious about your process with making these. I've been trying to put filigree details onto some models of mine, but using Blender and trying to "draw" sharp features onto a surface has been giving me fits. What program are you using and how are you getting such intricate, flowing details?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    I'm curious about your process with making these. I've been trying to put filigree details onto some models of mine, but using Blender and trying to "draw" sharp features onto a surface has been giving me fits. What program are you using and how are you getting such intricate, flowing details?
    How have you been doing it? I draw my designs first and then extrude the design in Blender. The method that's worked best for me is shrink wrapping along the surface.

Holy Cow! These are really nice. What type of printer do you use to print them? Do you outsource the printing to a company like Shapeways?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalrealign View Post
    Holy Cow! These are really nice. What type of printer do you use to print them? Do you outsource the printing to a company like Shapeways?
    Thanks! Yep, I get my pieces printed at Shapeways. Love them! The quality has been great for me. Even better that I can pick the prints up from the factory myself since I'm in NY