Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Printer filamnt prices continuing to rise.

So a year or so back I was able to get 1kg of basic pla for between £10-12
    And as I've used it all up, have to say it was pretty good stuff.

One of the budget brands - sunlu, are now only selling through a new dealer and their prices are ridiculous. over £40 a kile. Hell I can get polymaker polymax fior that kind of money.

Keep looking on ebay and all the really cheap stuff seems to be permamently out of stock.

Is this a result of the uk's on going farce with leaving the eu ?
    Or a result of global demand for filament being on the rise - or a combination of the two ?

Are the prices rising in the us and europe as much as the uk ?

I do know my favourite filament of all time (lol) reprappers wood coloured pla - sells out almost as soon as 3dfilaprint get it in. And I guess because it's bought in bulk is still usually between 16-18 a kg - and probably worth twice as much.
    Knew I should have bought more than 1 roll last time.

What prompted this post is that I've just run through my last roll of cheap amazon white pla and cannot find anything less than £16 kg delivered. The roll i've just used up was - I believe - £10.75 delivered ! And less than a year ago. IE: AFTER the uk vote to leave the eu.

So are the good times over ?
    Does anyone know of a reliable supplier of 1.75 pla in the uk for under £15 a kg ?
    It's a long shot, but I got used to decent filament at cheap prices :-)

I have discovered one of the big filament and printer suppliers in the uk is only a few miles from me. Have to contact them and see if i can pick it up myself and save the postage.
    Industrial estate based warehouse operations can be funny about direct callers. I live 10 minutes from the uks largest supplier of butcher and sausage making supplies. But can't just go and pick my order up. Have to pay postage - which is bloody annoying - and reminds me, got to order sausage casing.

So to recap - is it just the uk or are filament prices rising elsewhere in the world as well ?

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Hi Curious Aardvark,

I sell 3D printer filament in the UK. If you are interested then please PM me.

I do agree with you that prices of other retailers have been increasing recently. I think there is a realisation by some retailers that customer see a low price as a sign of a poor quality filament so they up their prices. Some prices are just insane! (nearly £50 for a spool).

Would be interesting to hear what others have to say about this.

Regards,
    3DEX