Close

Technician

Hot to Cold ABS adhesion ?????

Gday All,

Just researching some material in advance and was wondering how people go if they are printing with ABS and have to stop a print halfway through say for ten minutes and then try to resume the print, does this cause separation in the printed item due to plastic temperature variation or is the extruded ABS at sufficient temperature to heat melt to the previous cooled layer. Would like to be able to pause a print whilst add component to the print before restarting.

Any thoughts based on peoples experiences would be greatly appreciated as I am also in the process of setting up a small plastic injection unit in which the holding capacity of material falls short of the finished products requirements, hence forth another situation where hot would be required to bind to cooled plastic.

Just waiting for my printer to arrive now so trying to learn as much as possible in advance.

Cheers
    Steve

Sorry should have put this under filament section.
    Last edited by lycan; 04-22-2014 at 09:10 PM.

I've been stopping prints and restarting them using ABS plastic for a while. I do it to change colors at strategic spots. I added some code to Marlin to allow me to do a filament change without an LCD panel. (I'm too poor to have an LCD panel!!!) Check out: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-Roxy-Iris-Box You can see the results stopping the print at the right layer and changing the filament. It works just fine!

Technician
    Thanks Roxy,

Checked out that iris box...nice job and shall be adding it to my to print list.

Thanks Again
    Steve