Close

Senior Project Viability

I am an engineering student in the US and my senior project is a new type of hotend. I am curious what the market looks like for my proposed product. I am hoping to get feedback as a potential user and, ideally, some advice on how to research it's viability as an actual product.

I cannot disclose anything else, but I have the following stats:
    heating time (22C-210C) ~12 seconds
    power requirements 3-15 watts
    size - comparable to existing heating blocks

I am curious what kind of price you might be willing to pay, how likely you might be to purchase it as a retrofit (assuming compatible mounting method), and if there is some place where I can get more information about the market.
    Thanks for your help!

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I have concerns about that stated heating time. Most people are far more willing to sacrifice a bit of heat up time if it maintains the proper temperature. If I set my hot end at 200c, I want it exactly at 200c, within a reasonable tolerance (+/-1c). You dump that much energy into a hot end that quick, you'll likely overshoot the temp. Assuming there isn't another variable you haven't disclosed, You're obviously not using a PID algorythm that would be able to maintain that set point consistently. A true PID algorythm wouldn't heat up that fast. Without reliable temp control, there's no way I can get consistent prints.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.