Close

The First $100 3D Printer & Scanner! ??

I'm a bit confused. The title of the kickstarter says "The First $100 3D Printer & Scanner!"

However, as far as I can tell by the Kickstarter campaign it is $100 for an unassembled printer ONLY. The scanner is an additional $250 ($350 total). Great price, but just wanted to confirm that I'm getting the pricing correct.

This looks about right to me. $100 for a 3D printer sure is a great price point. I think this company is onto something.

Student
    Didn't they mention a own camera can be used?

I currently use a hama cm 3010 for another project, 12€, old but decent for the price, and has a real resolution of 3 megapixels...
    All others you can get right now are just 720p or really expensive.

Marcus, I believe you are correct. I think a camera on some sort of device that can rotate will work. I'm not too sure of the specifics.

Student
    I am sure we will get more information as soon as the printer issues have been resolved, I hope all goes well :-)
    I haven't done 3D scanning in quite some time, I'd like to see another photometric solution, too, as it has less constrains.

I too believe the title is misleading, I think the intent was to say it was a $100 Printer that has scanner support, not that it has scanning equipment included.

It's like saying "Buy the new Nikon dSLR and make studio photo !". Dosent mean you have a studio included

Let's say it's a Printer and Scanner "Ready"

Engineer-in-Training
    It is, in fact, a scanner, and printer, for $100.

You see, the laser is sent back and forth across an object, which you turn manually, and you record it with your phone/camera/webcam. The software will look through every pixel of every frame of the video, make a mesh, and possibly a texture too.

All of that, for $100. You do not need the $350 scanner attachment. That includes it's own camera. That is for people who do not have any possible method of taking video recordings. Anyone who is buying a 3d printer has access to a digital camera or camera phone. Just to repeat. You DO NOT need the scanner attachment, if you own a decent camera.

All you need is any camera, recording the object you are scanning. The same laser is used. I suppose you do need your own lazy susan/turntable, but that is what, $10 at the hardware store?