Close

3d printing a 3d printer?

So will the peachy be able to print a copy of itself? I know some other printers can do so , allthough I would imagine you would still need to buy another laser and other components.

For that matter I suppose you could even print mods for your printer or maybe even print other types of 3d printers with it?

Technician
    Bingo!

I've been planning on trying to design a peachy style frame, but I've been waiting for my'n to come before I start designing so I can try and work out the necessary compromises. This maybe completely silly todo though looking at the instructions. So, all of the parts for the stock printer are laser cut and flat. In many cases this allows you easy access to what when assembled might be very tricky e.g. the mirror assemblies. When looking through the parts there's a lot that I don't think you'd be able to print, coils, magnet, mirrors, electronics, laser. So I suspect the stuff you could print would be only a minor part of the cost of the Peachy (although still fun).

Despite my reservations above I'll give it a good go.
    -Electronics is my business and I want to change lots there anyway, the only similar components are the amps, coils and a usb connector (maybe a few passives)
    -The frame might be printable as one piece
    -The magnet holders could become tapered pegs so held in position by interference fit
    -The mirror assemblies and thread and glue maybe printable (without mirrors) in the flexible resins that peachy was showing off during the campaign and press fit to the frame

Student
    I'm not convinced on the sense of printing your own peachy for the above mentioned reasons, but i see complete sense in being able to print upgrades, or components that you see are likely to fail, like the mirror assemblies.

If you want to modify one it might be a better idea to print a new frame (with any mods you wanted) and build the new mirror assembly up on that, saving the original if you mod doesn't work, and also looking after the snap fit,

Much the same trick i pull with my RepRap

Yeah I suppose printing another printer isn't so feasable with all the techy bits that you can't print but I'm certainly looking forward to printing some mods. Eager to see what the beta testers think and if they will recommend anything.

Engineer-in-Training
    I made a door that could be vastly improved by 3d printing.

Technician
    Wow that's cute....hmm, I'm sure I saw a bathroom cabinet in a skip down the road!