Close

Greg's or wades on my Prusa robs print height

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of getting my Prusa i2 horizontal x frame to get going. The extruder that came with it was very poor quality and so warped the motor sat crooked so I had to change it

I picked the wades reloaded for 1.75 and everything is great except I noticed I can only print about 3 inches high. The stepper motor hit the frame

Is this a sacrifice for using this style I extruder or have I done something wrong

Thanks in advance everyone

If you're after more height, consider switching to bowden. Moving the extruder up to the top of the frame will give you more height.

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy87 View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of getting my Prusa i2 horizontal x frame to get going. The extruder that came with it was very poor quality and so warped the motor sat crooked so I had to change it

I picked the wades reloaded for 1.75 and everything is great except I noticed I can only print about 3 inches high. The stepper motor hit the frame

Is this a sacrifice for using this style I extruder or have I done something wrong

Thanks in advance everyone
    i2-wades.jpg

What hit the frame? Was it the big gear of the Wade's extruder that hit the metal rods at the top? Because if this was the case, I would be tempted to reprint those spacer pieces with more clearance. (and of course the angle of the bottom pieces would have to change too.) If what I'm envisioning is correct, adding more spacing between those top pieces would let the top end of the Wade's extruder just go up between them.

But with all that said... It seems like you should get more than 3" of height without hitting stuff????
    Last edited by Roxy; 04-12-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added picture of i2 with Wade's extruder

The extruder stepper is hitting the A frame threaded rod and stopping me at a 3 inch print height

I can't see a way for the extruder to go on without the stepper hitting. Wierd.

Only if the extruder is almost all the way to the right of the heat bed and then goes up. Hits the a frame

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy87 View Post
    Only if the extruder is almost all the way to the right of the heat bed and then goes up. Hits the a frame
    Can you post a picture of it close to where it hits?

The print height on a Prusa i2 is about 3.9 inches, isn't that right?

It sounds like you're not too far off - although every bit counts. So it does seem like a bowden would help.

You also might be able to gain some height with a different hot end - some give more clearance than others. What kind of are you using now?

Technologist
    This is a design issue on the i2. With the frame support going over the top of the x-axis, there is not a whole lot you can do about this other than switching to a different extruder. You may gain a bit on a direct-drive extruder but a bowden would give you more. I printed out the parts for an original printerbot on my i2 and then converted it. Was a fun exercise and gave me a few extra inches on the z-axis. Now I'm converting, yet again, to a more custom design that will give more frame stability.

If you look at the i3, you can see how they correct this problem. The support doesn't go over the top of the x-axis, it is behind it.

Yep! Had this same issue with my i2. Print over to the sides it will hit!
    I always had to make sure I position prints right...

Sounds like your end stop on the x axis is too far to the right. The carriage should stop before the point it will hit the a-frame.