Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    My girl reminded me of one thing I missed in my last post (and of course, the most important one)... Shoes for her. :P

More seriously, she has a condition where she needs custom made shoes in order to walk comfortably. She's quite excited at the idea of shoes that don't cost $500 a pair. If I can get one pair of shoes for her out of the Peachy, the machine will still have paid for itself many times over.

Technician
    feign, if you can make ONE pair you will be able to make MANY pairs, just choose a tank size larger than the maximum dimensions of either one or both shoes

Staff Engineer
    Harpo, the fact is, there are more complications with printing a shoe than just build size. It's a notoriously difficult thing to get working even for big printers due to the shifting load that they're supposed to support, and the kinds of stresses the material has to withstand to be a good shoe for more than a few days.

If I have to print her a new pair each month, then we're back to $500 worth of resin for what amounts to a single pair of shoes.

That said, I'm optimistic about the structural properties of the MakerJuice resins. With a bit of tweaking, I might come up with a (admittedly difficult) way to print multiple materials.

Engineer-in-Training
    Feign, that's a wonderful use for Peachy..... your efforts could potentially help many others....... good luck.

Student
    Were up the road from these guys, and have a Connex 500 capable of printing this at work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4xvGFKVEZQ

Down sides:

2 part material, but its VERY tough compared to the normal "Vero" UV cure resin,

Proof that the resins can be made

Rob

Staff Engineer
    The Connex and Objet printers are so far beyond the current consumer-use printers that you just can't compare the two. Maybe some day we'll have resins for the Peachy that can compare to the two-part microstructured materials that the Objet-style printers make, but how we get there I haven't a clue.

Student
    So ive had a Object Eden 260 at work since ive been there (5 years), and the Connex for the past 18 months,

The ABS like material is not printed with micro structures, one material is a catalyst for the other, the mixing of the two materials once they have been deposited from the heads (in much the same ways as a inkjet printer) then exposure to UV is what makes them so strong, (you can see when you only get one material on the edge of parts,

With the work in the pump thread it might be a goer, after all the resin is just a mix of chemicals,

Might borrow some of the "empty" cartridges from work when i get mine and run some tests

Student

Propellor molds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
    Propellor molds.
    Interesting! Why / for what?

Student
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2103061

They are custom designed racing propellers for electric radio controlled aircraft.

With the peachy I hope to be able to prototype faster and more at low cost.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast