Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    They got that much funding because it is inexpensive, like the Peachy, but more fully realized. Peachy had more R&D to do before release, and people weren't sold on that. KS campaigns are known to disappoint sometimes.
    One of the only people speaking sense on this thread, the difference in presentation and the output they've already achieved opens their campaign up to a much wider audience....consumers! (and there's a lot of them)
    Peachy was aimed at hackers and builders, the fact that you have to build it will put a lot of people off, also there was a lot of imagination required to finish this off, not unreasonable given that it's a newer to this market technology.

With the micro I think we can be reasonably sure that the final product will be almost identical to the prototype they're showing off, this is most definitely not the case with the peachy. I'm sure we have some amazing changes to witness as the hobby SLA market evolves and matures.

unreliable motors
    This is the second post you've put something about motors in...what's the issue?
    Last edited by Pete; 04-13-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the second post you've put something about motors in...what's the issue?
    Oh, at least the fifth time.

Short version: Motors are a pain in the butt for many reasons and I am glad the Peachy doesn't use them. Skip the next paragraph unless you desire ranting.

Long version: I really like that the Peachy has no motors. While reading about inexpensive 3d printers, I came to find that the majority of problems that users experience is with the motors. For example, the Printrbot Simple is a great little 3d printer, but the Z guide rod is too weak to handle the weight and movement of the heavy motor/hot end assembly. Repraps of any model can have calibration issues due to electric problems with the motors. When hot ends jam on some printers, the motors continue to feed expensive filament into the nozzle until they burn out, grind their gears down, or permanently jam the feed with a ton of plastic. I have heard of a variety of desktop size printers that need to be clamped down or otherwise secured because the movement of the hot end will make them dance around on the work surface. In the case of plastic gears, they wear down, the motor ends up working harder, and it burns out. I could go on all day. There are plenty of great printers out there that use motors, but any that cost as little as the Peachy are going to be seriously questionable.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Oh, at least the fifth time.

Short version: Motors are a pain in the butt for many reasons and I am glad the Peachy doesn't use them. Skip the next paragraph unless you desire ranting.

Long version: I really like that the Peachy has no motors. While reading about inexpensive 3d printers, I came to find that the majority of problems that users experience is with the motors. For example, the Printrbot Simple is a great little 3d printer, but the Z guide rod is too weak to handle the weight and movement of the heavy motor/hot end assembly. Repraps of any model can have calibration issues due to electric problems with the motors. When hot ends jam on some printers, the motors continue to feed expensive filament into the nozzle until they burn out, grind their gears down, or permanently jam the feed with a ton of plastic. I have heard of a variety of desktop size printers that need to be clamped down or otherwise secured because the movement of the hot end will make them dance around on the work surface. In the case of plastic gears, they wear down, the motor ends up working harder, and it burns out. I could go on all day. There are plenty of great printers out there that use motors, but any that cost as little as the Peachy are going to be seriously questionable.
    hehe,

. There are plenty of great printers out there that use motors, but any that cost as little as the Peachy are going to be seriously questionable.
    I think completely the opposite... the peachy is so cheap, it has to be seriously questionable.

Technician

Smile Anuvin, you've made my day

...and I've only just woken up!

I completely understand your aversion based on what you've written however although you've blamed the motors I think the actual problems you have are with electronics and physics, I think you've truly shot the messenger. The guide rods and things bending because they're accelerating heavy masses....well that's a design fault and nothing to do with the poor motors, I don't think you can blame them for this just because they're the ones asked to move things, if my boss gave me a rubbish shovel to move a ton of earth then I'd go through a few shovels. Also I'm not sure that securing your printers to the desk because of Newtons third law should be legal, printers are like pets and you should respect their freedom to roam! Your last few points are pretty close to my heart, electronics can be amazing but you can also get it phenomenally wrong particularly if you don't understand how things work or crucially if you're trying to save money. Things burning is generally over current issues and most people only understand switching a load to a constant voltage supply and then leaving it to its own devices, this is particularly bad when it comes to DC motors and can be an issue when you have steppers that you're driving at high voltages to get them to run fast but don't bother to think about current limiting.
    Essentially, most FDM printers, and actually peachy but I'll address that seperately, are open loop meaning that the machine has no idea what's going on, no way to detect errors and do anything about it (like stop before it ruins your gear train). This really means that you need to be absolutely sure from your controller that when you ask your machine to do something that it does that and it does it successfully before you give it another instruction that relies on the last one having been done correctly.

Unfortunately you'll find me working with motors in pumps for the peachy (and I don't think you can convince me it's the wrong thing for the job [I'll be sure to put an optional temperature and over current feedback warnings for you ])

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, you are right. Technically, the majority of my issues are with flimsy printers, not the motors themselves. These problems arise from having to accommodate the motors, but technically, are not the motors. Sometimes.

I can't wait to see what you come up with no matter how you mod your peachy. I think it's great if you want to add motors. I just hope you don't come up with any "essential" mods with motors. If you do, I will grit my teeth and deal, but I sure hate motors that aren't combustion based.

I seem to be able to ignore the motor in a pump though. Go pumps! Your work in that area has been awesome, can't wait to see more.

Technician
    I can't wait to see what you come up with no matter how you mod your peachy. I think it's great if you want to add motors. I just hope you don't come up with any "essential" mods with motors.
    That depends if you consider awesome essential?

I seem to be able to ignore the motor in a pump though. Go pumps! Your work in that area has been awesome, can't wait to see more.
    Phew (and thank you for the high praise) a pump [or two?!....] are the only motors I'm planning

pump it up !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12