Close

bottom's up! Need help.

hi all. i am using simplify3d and love it but i ran into a problem printing. i seem to have to use a raft for most prints but it takes longer to print. so i tried to use a brim instead without a raft. i am using pla inland brand for this. problem is when i use a brim and not a raft the bottom comes out terrible.

is there a way to use a brim and still have the bottom of the print come out nice?

thanks

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Take a look at you nozzle height calibration and first layer width. Get it closer to the bed with a bitter extra width and it will press the first layer against your build plate, making the bottom layer smooth.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what's supposed to be wrong with that print ?
    And what material are you printing on ? that's what makes the difference.

And what idig said too :-)
    A lot of people seem to print with a very loose calibration, ie: a fairly large gap between the printhead and the print surface. To get a good stick and smooth print the first print layer needs to be smooshed onto the printsurface.

thanks again for your help!!!

the PROBLEM is bottom is very rough and not smooth. i wanted the bottom to match the top in consistency. i am printing on a non heated bed using glue stick for adhesion.

i did calibrate the printer but it didnt seem to help. i have the nozzle smooshing onto the bed with the ability of me sliding a piece of paper under the nozzle with a little friction but again it didnt help the bottom of my print come out good.

not sure what to try and what i should change in the s3d settings... [thanks]:

Last edited by threedee4me; 10-17-2016 at 12:49 PM.

That looks under-extruded to me. Extruder calibrated?

Yes, i did calibrate the printer but it didnt seem to help. i have the nozzle smooshing onto the bed with the ability for me to slide a piece of paper under the nozzle with a little friction but again it didnt help the bottom of the print to come out better.

not sure what settings to manipulate besides:

increasing extrusion multiplier
    infill %

thanks