Close

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter

Printing on a Replicator 2 w/ NinjaFlex

I was at Inside 3D Printing and the NinjaFlex booth was giving out samples.

I've been trying to convince my school to buy some for a while now, but now that I have some to test with, I can't get it to print properly.

I changed all the print settings to mirror those on the pamphlet I got with the sample, but it still prints a bit weird.

Is there anything special I need to do to get it to work?

Send me an email at stankulikowski@fennerdrives.com with the problems that you are having. I'll do what I can to help you out. I was printing at the show on a Replicator 1 so I know that we can get this to work.

Stan

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    I was at Inside 3D Printing and the NinjaFlex booth was giving out samples.

I've been trying to convince my school to buy some for a while now, but now that I have some to test with, I can't get it to print properly.

I changed all the print settings to mirror those on the pamphlet I got with the sample, but it still prints a bit weird.

Is there anything special I need to do to get it to work?
    Yes, at least with the Lulzbot you need a special extruder, it won't work with their standard extruder. I would guess the Rep 2 isn't optimized for it. We have the Makerbot flexible filament and have yet to get a successful build with it with our Rep 2s. Been working with Makerbot tech support, they say you have to print at about 100°C, but that still didn't work for us. Our Rep2s have been busy building other stuff out of PLA and Nylon for customers and haven't had some down time to go back and fiddle with it some more.

But, we do plan to buy the special extruders for our Lulzbots and bring in all the colors of Ninjaflex and have that available for those machines at least. We're just waiting to learn what our wholesale pricing is going to be from Lulzbot.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I haven't tried my sample yet, but I did witness them using a Replicator 1 to print with the NinjaFlex at inside3dprinting. I know it can be done. Let us know if you get it to work. We'd love to see your printout MysteryAlabaster.

MysteryAlabaster ... Make this modification to your extruder to aid in the feeding. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:238638

This mechanism keeps consistent tension between the filament and the drive gear while reducing the friction. There is also added support between the drive gear and the extruder to keep it from buckling.

If you still run into problems feel free to email me and I'll help you out further.

Stan
    stankulikowski@fennerdrives.com

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaFlex Engineer View Post
    This mechanism keeps consistent tension between the filament and the drive gear while reducing the friction. There is also added support between the drive gear and the extruder to keep it from buckling.

I will definitely try this. Will it still work with regular plastics?

It will still work with the regular ABS and PLA for sure. I think that it will actually improve performance overall with other filaments.

Awesome!

I'm actually having problems with the nozzle of the Rep2 at the moment, probably going to need to buy and replace the damned thing.
    I don't know what happened, but the hot-end is sitting on the desk next to me, and it looks pretty dead.