Close

Student

Submarine Not Watertight

Dear Friends,

I again come to you with a difficult issue. I am printing a British Trafalgar Class submarine using my CTC Printer. The sail is giving me fits! When I close it up in MESH MIXER and NETFABB it tells me everything is okay. However when I print, the top is all goofy. Do I need to increase infill?

Trafalgar Side 3.jpgTRAF SAIL 2.jpgTrafalgar Side 1.jpgTrafalgar Side 2.jpgTRAF SAIL 1.jpg

Thanks All!

It would also help to post the .STL file. But what is happening to you is similar to what happens to me if I don't pick enough solid top layers. It kind of looks like what happens when you have very sparse (10%???) infill and then try to put a top layer on it. It takes a few layers before you have enough to build on to get a polished top layer. I'm overly conservative on that, but I usually have 10 solid top layers just to make sure I don't get to the end of the print and have it fail because the printer can't quite bridge the gaps and close up the infill.

Student
    Thank Roxy! How do I set that up on Simplify 3D?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/
    Go there and read some words and watch some videos.

Or simply move the infill slider to the right.
    Come on dude, at least make an attempt to learn how the program works.

Student
    Thank you Curious Aardvark for your kindness is showing me the link. Very kind.

Now as to the rest of your comments:

I have done this ohhhhhhhh NEVER! I did move the slider and it still turned into a disaster.

If you can't offer help without being condescending then please don't.

Is it wrong to ask for help on here? Did I take you away from something?

What makes you think I have not done what I can to learn about the program. Of course you knew it all the first couple time your used it correct?
    Read the info and just made it happen......you sir are amazing. However we who are not as blessed as you might need a bit of assistance. I know to you that is annoying but welcome to life.

You have not earned the right to call me "Dude." I am a 24 year veteran who served on 3 Nuclear Submarines. I am now the author of 3 Novels OF ICE AND STEEL, EPITAPH and TIGER! I am an Executive Producer for Aventine Hill Films.

You may call me Don, Chief, or Mr. Meadows, your choice. Until such a that you show me respect, I shall refer to you as Lad or Scooter. I like Scooter myself.

Again Thank you Scooter

PETG? PLA? ABS? Makes a difference...

Student
    I am using PLA

Ok, now... how many bottom, side, and top layers? What is the percentage of infill? What is the Extruder temperature? If you can give us this info, it'll be a lot easier to help.

I'm betting that your infill is way too low, but... those layers mean a lot also. On S3d, for any of these parameters, select "Edit Process Settings". From there, infill is the slider bar. To increase layers, select "Layer", they're all right there. Of course there is always the possibility that you have your extruder temp way off as well.