Close

Question Flashforge Finder VS DiscoEasy200 ?

Hi from France,

I'm a lady and I want to create my own jewels and rings.

I'm just beginning with the software Rhino 3D, and I would like to buy a cheap printer 3D to realize the prototype. I don't need a huge quality, as the prototypes are only to allow me to see if the dimensions and the general shape are ok.

I don't know what you choose between:

Flashforge Finder : beautiful printer, with a resolution of 50 microns, but difficult to adjust?
    DiscoEasy200 : awful look, with a resolution of 100 microns, but very good reviews on Internet.

Which one may I choose (I only want one of these, I don't want another model), being said that my jewels and rings, of course, have a lot of curves?

Thank you so much for your help, I'm only a passionate newbie!

Sabrina

Staff Engineer
    Both those printers would be pretty useless for printing jewelry. They require a model that's optimized for the process, which your jewelry designs are unlikely to be. For example, you can't print something with a protrusion that comes out at 90 degrees (or more than 45 degrees) without providing supports for it, and these are difficult to remove without damaging the piece (or yourself). And the detail you get is not enough to make these models useful for casting.

If you're going to the trouble of designing your jewelry in Rhino, why not go all the way and get a machine that will make models you can actually burn out and cast? There are starting to be a number of relatively inexpensive resin-based printers which will work for that. I've used a Form1 and B9 Creator, but there are others like the Kudo and Muve3D, and probably more.

Before investing in a printer, I'd suggest sending some models out for printing, so you can compare results from different sorts of machines. 3DHubs, for instance, will hook you up with local 3D printer owners who will, for a small payment, print your file on their machines. This is a good way to evaluate the alternatives before spending money on a machine that may not be the right one for you.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Before investing in a printer, I'd suggest sending some models out for printing, so you can compare results from different sorts of machines. 3DHubs, for instance, will hook you up with local 3D printer owners who will, for a small payment, print your file on their machines. This is a good way to evaluate the alternatives before spending money on a machine that may not be the right one for you.
    This is a brilliant suggestion. Find a Flashforge finder or Discoeasy on 3D Hubs and have a few test prints made. See what the result looks like before investing in a possibly inadequate printer.

Thank you for the suggestion. But as I will not need the printer often, only to see the general shape of my product, may I use freelasbster or 3dhubs so I have a SLA print with good quality? And what about the copyright? I don't want my confidential files to be on Internet...
    Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Of those two printers, the finder is the better option. The other is a bog standard prusa i3.

Using a print bureau is a good idea: IF you only want to print maybe one or two models a year.
    They are expensive and you can't simply change something and print it out to see what difference it makes. You have to send the file away, wait for it to be printed and then be sent back to you.

In the long run having your own printer is cheaper, easier and much much better suited to an ongoing design process.
    You will also find that you'll use it for lots of different things.
    something in your house breaks ? print a replacement.
    Need a special jig or widget for jewellery making, design and print your own.
    After 2 years I would genuinely now never be without a 3d printer.
    It's one of the most useful gadgets you can own.

Quote Originally Posted by sabsabsab View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion. But as I will not need the printer often, only to see the general shape of my product, may I use freelasbster or 3dhubs so I have a SLA print with good quality? And what about the copyright? I don't want my confidential files to be on Internet...
    Thanks!
    If confidentiality is an issue then either a local 3D printer firm or 3D Hubs would be best. Especially if only 2 twice a year or so.

Ok, thank you so much for your help and your advices!
    Cheers from Paris...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and also remember that sla printers can't do 90 degree overhangs without supports either.
    An sla printer is a little better than fdm, but you still need to use a lot of supports.

If you want to print a complex item with NO supporst then you need an sls printer.
    basically uses a laser on fine powder (usually nylon) the laser draws the slices on solid layers of powder. So everything is always fully supported.
    Most of the expensive commercial print bureaus use sls printers.
    It will cost you quite a bit more - but you will get an accurate print of your model and you won't have to worry about any design limitations.