Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question QIDI 1 surging fan

1. Has anyone experienced the PLA cooling fan surging during operation. Up until today mine would run at a constant speed during a print. Now it surges up and down in speed while printing. It does not do it while waiting to print during preheat but once the job begins it starts this behavior. So far it doesn't seem to affect the print quality but it is strange to listen to its whine wandering up and down the scale.

2. Is there a programmatic way to turn this aux cooling fan on and off without using the keypad?

What program are you using?
    In Simplify 3D you can adjust fan speed. You might be able to in the MakerBot software that comes with it but I'm not sure.
    Also if it is a PSU issue that can happen when the extruder is heating and using more power and a failing PSU can't keep up.
    It could be the fan itself is dying also.

Also one last thing. Make sure the outlet you are using that nothing else is on the same breaker. If an AC unit or something else that turns on and off can make weird changes where you notice it fluctuates.
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

Tips Appreciated But Not Expected
    BTC: 16wxHvKd3oU6SVjv6FrenqhkvRmc8t7sPy
    DASH: XqyaWxH896j9YeV1M35Gzb5gmRPmPbNDGq

The speed adjustable fans are the hotend cooling fans. The fan I'm referring to is the aux turbo fan on the left side of the dual extruder assembly. It is enabled thru the keypad menu and only used for PLA filament. It's speed changes almost seem to coincide with certain actions at certain speeds. It might be Astroprint which I just recently connected. I'll try printing from the card to see if there is a difference.

I was referring to the Aux fan. The two on the front as you said is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JensC View Post
    The speed adjustable fans are the hotend cooling fans. The fan I'm referring to is the aux turbo fan on the left side of the dual extruder assembly. It is enabled thru the keypad menu and only used for PLA filament. It's speed changes almost seem to coincide with certain actions at certain speeds. It might be Astroprint which I just recently connected. I'll try printing from the card to see if there is a difference.
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

You said there are hot end fan speed settings in Simplify3D. This I know. They do not, however, apply to the turbo fan. It's either on or off. The hot end fans run fine making it unlikely to be a PS issue.

Engineer-in-Training
    Then it might be a power supply issue?

Check the cables to the fan with a multimeter or such while jiggling them around. It may be a break somewhere in the leads that makes contact on and off as the carriage moves around.

You may also want to have a look and inspect the motherboard. Have a good look at the connectors and leads, and look out for any signs of scorching. Also check the specs of the power supply unit (the brick thing).

I don't see where I specified hot end anyways but here is a screen shot where you can adjust the settings of the AUX fan.
    As you see here I have it at two different speeds, one for the first layer and another for the rest. You can make it do more as you see with the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by JensC View Post
    You said there are hot end fan speed settings in Simplify3D. This I know. They do not, however, apply to the turbo fan. It's either on or off. The hot end fans run fine making it unlikely to be a PS issue.
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

Engineer
    Unfortunately, the QiDi printer does not respond to the fan/blower/aux speed setting other than to be either on or off. S3D does allow one to set the "fan speed" by layer, but my understanding is that there is no compatible "X3G" command to set the fan speed, so the QiDi just turns the fan on full, or off as a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon 3D View Post
    I don't see where I specified hot end anyways but here is a screen shot where you can adjust the settings of the AUX fan.
    As you see here I have it at two different speeds, one for the first layer and another for the rest. You can make it do more as you see with the settings.

Always works for me. I send the gcode over via my OctoPi.
    I know though you are correct on x3g files via the SD card it does not work. If you check the box in S3D (it may be on by default) it saves both the x3g and gcode.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Unfortunately, the QiDi printer does not respond to the fan/blower/aux speed setting other than to be either on or off. S3D does allow one to set the "fan speed" by layer, but my understanding is that there is no compatible "X3G" command to set the fan speed, so the QiDi just turns the fan on full, or off as a compromise.
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Talon 3D View Post
    Always works for me. I send the gcode over via my OctoPi.
    I know though you are correct on x3g files via the SD card it does not work. If you check the box in S3D (it may be on by default) it saves both the x3g and gcode.

Reality Check (back to the thread topic)

1. Answer to my first original question:

The aux cooling fan plug near the extruders was defective. At rest it worked but when jerked around by the head in certain directions the fan power was intermittent. Fixed.

2. Answer to my second original question:

The code to turn on the aux cooling fan is M106. The code to turn it off is M106 S0.

(END OF THREAD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast