Close

Some 3D printers from Shenzhen’s Maker Faire

Here: http://imgur.com/a/mZTxa

Nothing really special. An interesting move towards small printers with a smaller build area. I think that’s from seeing the success of Up they decided the Western market wants small platforms, but the problem is that the build size is actually the biggest complaint of Up users. Up (Teirtime) was there, talking to them at any expo is a bit painful, they are the least enthusiastic proponents of 3D printing ever.

The rest were mostly metal Ultimaker Clones (about 80% of the Chinese consumer market these days).

Only one filament maker, which is a shame because there are a lot doing interesting things with new materials.

The whole event was surprisingly large and well attended, fair number of Westerners in attendance and lots of locals getting in the DIY classes and such which was nice to see.

It surprises me how many small printers were there. I'd think there would be more and more interest for larger build size printers, so that we can print a greater variety of objects. I guess the trend is now to print pieces of larger options and then put them together somehow. How many people were in attendance? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginationProgress View Post
    It surprises me how many small printers were there. I'd think there would be more and more interest for larger build size printers, so that we can print a greater variety of objects. I guess the trend is now to print pieces of larger options and then put them together somehow. How many people were in attendance? Any idea?
    I aint completely sure but the best guess i would be able to make is that people , average people want a printer that can fit anywhere, Even in the living room next to there TV/PC.
    Doing that with a Ultimaker 2 for example or a Delta is of course not the first choice of the majority, As its to big.

Smaller printers will probably cost less and will do the job never the less, Will suit in most areas, With the down side that the prints will be alot smaller, personaly i would never buy one that isnt 6x6x6 inch ATLEAST.
    I personaly find a sweet spot at atleast 8x8x8 inch.

But i guess thats why most are targetting smaller printers, especially the printers from China since they want it on mass production of course.

I aint completely sure but the best guess i would be able to make is that people , average people want a printer that can fit anywhere, Even in the living room next to there TV/PC.
    Doing that with a Ultimaker 2 for example or a Delta is of course not the first choice of the majority, As its to big.
    Very good point. I guess putting a huge printer in your house can be a bit of an eyesore.

But i guess thats why most are targetting smaller printers, especially the printers from China since they want it on mass production of course.
    I just think it's crazy how many companies are trying to make it in the 3D printing industry, creating printers that are pretty much identical to what is already out there.

I think a lot of the footprint also has to do with shipping issues. The metal Ultimaker clones are great, but they are huge, heavy and a total nightmare to ship. Smaller printers put things in the realm of "desktop gadget" instead of "machine tool".

I just think it's crazy how many companies are trying to make it in the 3D printing industry, creating printers that are pretty much identical to what is already out there.
    That's generally the strategy here. Try to build things that are as similar as possible to known popular products but with minor incremental improvements. Like an evolutionary process with a very, very low mutation rate that is still a viable means to progress because it occurs on such a vast scale.