Close

Will DRM work in 3D Printing of Designs?

Do you think that DRM will be a solution to protecting Intellectual Property of designs that people make specifically for 3D Printing? I've been going back and forth on this with some of my students. To me it seems like it would be a bit easier to control than what we have seen in the music industry. However, with the advent of 3D scanners, things could really fall to the wayside. There are scanners out there today (mostly very expensive ones) that can get very minute details of items that are scanned. This would be an easy work around to stl files that are DRM protected. What do you think?

I would argue instead that DRM is the last thing we want to infect the 3D printing industry. While it is important for intellectual property holders to protect themselves from large scale mass reproduction of their designs, DRM does more to hurt the end consumer - and indeed the industry DRM attempts to protect - than it does to protect the revenue of property holders.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/03/19/drm-hurts-companies-more-than-piracy-developer-argues/
    http://torrentfreak.com/what-piracy-...ercent-131130/
    http://beta.slashdot.org/story/80960
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1007113944.htm

Super Moderator
    The answer to "Will DRM work in anything" is no.

I don't know if I agree with you Compro. I think DRM will NEED to work within the 3D printing industry. There has to be a way to determining if someone is stealing ideas and designs from others. However, the DRM models that we have for the music industry won't work on the 3D printing industry. I think we will need a more sophisticated system, with perhaps some sort of computerized database system. I think we are still a good 5 years away from having any implementation needs for a system like this, but I can't see a capitalist economy like ours allowing people to just scan and print anything they want for FREE.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginationProgress View Post
    I don't know if I agree with you Compro. I think DRM will NEED to work within the 3D printing industry. There has to be a way to determining if someone is stealing ideas and designs from others. However, the DRM models that we have for the music industry won't work on the 3D printing industry. I think we will need a more sophisticated system, with perhaps some sort of computerized database system. I think we are still a good 5 years away from having any implementation needs for a system like this, but I can't see a capitalist economy like ours allowing people to just scan and print anything they want for FREE.
    1. I don't see how that is a "DRM" system. That's an automated enforcement system, all of which thus far are heaps of shit that should result in the users being sued into the ground for slander of title if the legal system functioned reasonably.

2. I don't see much way "the capitalist economy" having much choice in the matter unless they can bribe in laws before things get off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    1. I don't see how that is a "DRM" system. That's an automated enforcement system, all of which thus far are heaps of shit that should result in the users being sued into the ground for slander of title if the legal system functioned reasonably.

2. I don't see much way "the capitalist economy" having much choice in the matter unless they can bribe in laws before things get off the ground.
    This is a fine answer for a person who likes to find stuff online and print it for free. But what is your answer for people who create stuff?

For example, if I were an artist who spends weeks making a digital sculpture, and sell copies of that sculpture using 3D printing - is it fair for some bloke to find the file on the web and then make a copy of it without compensating the artist?

If it is fair, please explain why.
    Last edited by broudie; 04-23-2014 at 08:48 PM.