Close

how to best 3D print a plastic model plane?

i would like to 3D print this 1/48th model russian prototype jet, from a 3D printer somewhere in new york, and paint it in testors spray paint aluminum finish. since there are no kits of this plane in existence i am planning that i could make a little money from this by ordering extra copies that i could sell as kits similar to rubber molded resin kits. i think the resin kit industry will probably be changing dramatically due to the increase in 3D printing technology.

is it possible to have the entire plane modeled at once standing on its landing gear as in this screenshot or do i have to have wings/gear/fuselage printed separately?

1027.jpg1003.jpg

You can indeed get it printed it fully-formed on its landing gear. The best people to direct this question to, though, is the company you're thinking of using. They'll be best placed to answer questions regarding the capabilities of their 3D printers.

Printing this fully formed on your typical hobbyist 3D printer that fuses filament would be difficult and require several hours of hand-finishing to get it to an acceptable level. However, there are other technologies available at a commercial scale (such as SLS, or selective laser sintering) that are up to the job. Caveat: the landing gear may come out a bit fragile.

Just wondering Mike. Did you ever print this? If so, I'd love to see your results!

Mike, why don't you just use shapeways or sculpteo. They usually let you know if there are any problems, and their designers can help out a little bit too.