Close

Unhappy Print Failures on flashforge creator...looking for help

New to this technology and so far not having much consistent success. I have printed several
    small blocks(one to two inches in length, and half that wide, usually ¼ to 3/8 inch thick with
    both raised and recessed text ok), but even they are hit and miss. Saw the Nautilus gear thing
    on thingiverse and decided to give it a try. I terminated print after only a few minutes seeing
    that outcome would not be successful. My printer(creator wooden body) was purchased from
    someone who won it on dealdash.com, and had never been opened. I am using simpilfy3d for
    software to drive printer over usb port. Filament was 1.75 inland, with speed of 3000mm/min
    or 50mm/sec. printer is using the profile from simplify3d for dual extruders, but only printing
    with right extruder. They indicate 230 for extruder, and 60 for bed. I see numerous post that
    indicate 205-208 with bed of 68. Results with these have not bee promising. interesting that
    this print involved multiple models, of which not all were failing. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/ch7r2
    Last edited by woodrat; 09-10-2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: pic addition failed...

Super Moderator
    If your filament is PLA then you may need more cooling. Is there a cooling fan set up on the left extruder aside from the two cooling the extruders? It would probably be on the left extruder if it is there.

Temps for PLA would normally fall in the 180 - 210 range with a bed of 60.

Also slow down the print to about half - maybe 1500-2000mm/min.

Yes I am using PLA, and there is not an extra cooling fan beside the two that exist for each extruder. Would an additional fan target the print or extruder tips.
    Will try the slower speed, but hate to hear that may be the resolution. The individual that started this particular forum i believe indicated in one of his previous
    tips/notes that the flashforge printers were capable of 40-60. The much slower speed will increase print time considerably and I prefer to use USB, but don't feel
    safe leaving house with printer engaged. I greatly appreciate any help trying to get up to speed on 3D printing. Never could figure out why my pic uploads to
    site failed, but finally decided to use imgur to display pic.
    woodrat

Super Moderator
    Pics don't upload here. The way you did it is what works.

Yes an additional fan will help with PLA. You can print fast but things really need to be dialed in and there are a lot of variables.

The idea first is to get to a good stable print by seeing what temp for the filament works the best, what bed temp, speed etc.

For PLA I would get the thing opened up and maybe get a fan moving air through the chassis. Slowing the printing down will help some with cooling.

Some suggest using the profile in S3D for the Replicator Dual. You might see if it works better but really only change one thing at a time.

I would drop the speed and go to about 200 on temp with a 60 on the bed. Get a very good level on the bed and then see how it goes.

ok...again thx. tomorrow I will host a muffin fan on front opening that will target the print. I have a couple that have directional nozzles with
    rheostat to control air flow. I totally agree that changes should be limited to maybe one thing at a time to determine if beneficial or detrimental
    to successful print. currently printing a name block with raised letters that so far looks very good.....temp is at 205 with 2000 mm/min. have a
    house fan flowing on low thru printer. Will post more later...thx for letting me know about pics...

PS: I notice you live in OK....we felt your disturbance here with considerable force..

Hooray...Finally some degree of success with this little beastie..printed these on creator at 1500mm/min 205/68 PLA and muffin fan gently blowing thru printer from side onto
    print. A little disappointed in time(1 hour 54 mins), but hopefully with time and tweaks that can be reduced considerably.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodrat View Post
    Hooray...Finally some degree of success with this little beastie..printed these on creator at 1500mm/min 205/68 PLA and muffin fan gently blowing thru printer from side onto
    print. A little disappointed in time(1 hour 54 mins), but hopefully with time and tweaks that can be reduced considerably.

Looks like it did a good job. Now we have a starting point to work from.

Question about bed leveling. Most instructional video's I have found on Youtube or vendor sites inidicate the use
    of a piece of typing paper for "feeler gauge" to determine correct standoff between bed and extruder. In mic'ing
    typing paper it varies between .0045 and .006 inches in thickness. Since this is an ongoing process to be repeated
    as models are printed, I have seen no mention of dealing with the extrusion remaining in extruder head. It does
    not take a very large "stick out" of previously melted filament to offset the .0045 to .006 desired standoff. Second
    to that is the expansion of both extruder head and heated build platform. Is it not more prudent to adjust the bed
    standoff with both the extruder and bed at operating temp, than room temp. My printer has the dual extruder
    assembly, of which so far I have only exercised the right extruder. When going thru a bed leveling activity, I have
    checked both the extruder heads and found there is difference between the "new-unused one" and active head.
    I have tried heating up the right extruder prior to a bed leveling procedure, and cleaning the head to remove
    any dangeling filament, but results compared to other head still show differences. Performing this activity wth
    both extruder and bed at operating temp so far have rendered more consistent outcome. My question of course
    is what is considered most acceptable for this issue.