Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

mcor technologies 3D Printers - Print using stacks of traditional printer paper

Ok, one of the most innovative 3D printers I saw at the Inside 3D Printing Conference had to be the mcor technologies printers. They don't print using any traditional 3D printing methods. They have come up with their own patented technology which actually bonds stacks of 20lb printer paper (yes your traditional 2D printer paper) together, using an adhesive. It also lays down a layer of ink for each piece of paper in the stack (if applicable). It then uses a cutting tool to cut the design out of the paper. The results? They are quite amazing. The quality of the prints are as good, if not better that those done on some of the high end SLA and SLA printers. Check out some of the photographs that we took this week:

These printers are quite expensive though. Not something the typical person will be able to buy and keep in their garage.

Thankis for sharing Eddie. I was unaware that this company even existed. The process that they print with seems very unique. I wonder how well the bonding agent of the paper holds up over time. Did you notice any of the pages peeling or fraying?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    It then uses a cutting tool to cut the design out of the paper.
    I'm missing something: how is this additive manufacturing?

I'm impressed by the technology, don't misunderstand.
    Last edited by Davo; 04-05-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Actually, I think it even gets it's own acronym - LOM (Laminated Object Manufacturing). To me it seems like it's a hybrid between additive & subtractive. It adds the paper layer by layer, but it also has to cut away all the material that's not part of the final object. It really does seem interesting! I've seen a video where they made a hammer out of paper and used it to hammer a nail into a board!

It's cool technology, but I don't like the fact that it is a 2 step process. Liek mkapras said, it is both additive and subtractive. The positive is that it can use paper that has been writen or printed on, since it only colors the outside edges. This means you can recycle your paper into 3D prints. Truly an innovation in itself. For the price though, I can't see them selling too many of these honestly.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Guys, I just published an article about Mcor 3D printers, after speaking in depth with some of their employees, and investigating the technology behind these machines. I came away very impressed. Please see: http://3dprint.com/9603/mcor-3d-prin...ris-matrix-300

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTuthill View Post
    It's cool technology, but I don't like the fact that it is a 2 step process. Liek mkapras said, it is both additive and subtractive. The positive is that it can use paper that has been writen or printed on, since it only colors the outside edges. This means you can recycle your paper into 3D prints. Truly an innovation in itself. For the price though, I can't see them selling too many of these honestly.
    And i wonder why it cost almost 10k to bring full color. Is it because of the software? I found the Epson B510DN (used to colorize the paper) is cost about $700-800.

Student
    I was able to see one of these printers at a show also and while all the models in the pics look good the ones I saw in person looked mediocre. While it was well suited for a simplistic 3D map they has on a table there was also a lay up of a 2-stroke engine and it resulted in a quite vague print.

For certain applications this would be ideal, but for most uses I doubt it would be a good option.