Close

Student

A Kickstarter Project that promises to Smooth Your FDM Prints.. Legit?

Just wanted some of your opinions on this new Kickstarter project that you can find at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...your-3d-prints. It is a machine that promises to smooth your FDM 3D prints using an Acetone vapor bath. If you were to ask me, I would think this could be potentially dangerous, couldn't it be?

Anyhow this is what they claim it will do:

I must say, that the finished result looks pretty good, but I'm not sure how it would work on other designs. I'm also not sure if a glossy look is what is needed for more the things that we print. Of course it's nice to get rid of the layered look that all fdm printers create though.

Regardless, the video for the KS campaign is quite entertaining. The MagicBox is priced starting at $399 on Kickstarter. Anyone think it's worth it?

Technologist
    If your printer has a heated bed, you could use that to create the heat to vaporize a tiny amount of acetone in a beaker with your print, to produce the same result. So, I suppose it really depends on whether this does a better job, and whether or not you want a dedicated machine for the task. $400 seems a little price though, so personally, no, I don't think it's worth it.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    This really does work as a process, I've done it many-a-time.

It's extremely dangerous, Acetone will cause memory loss and brain damage I think.

It's pretty simple with a large glass cup, a hot plate, a small length of 2x4, and some string.

Engineer
    i work with acetone almost every day. as far as toxicity goes acetone is a much safer solvent. the govt has even made it voc exempt because its really not that hazardous. HOWEVER it is EXTREMELY flammable and the vapors are explosive. no different than nat gas or propane. people really need to watch their a$$ when doing this. never do this in your house.

Some people are having success with a cold acetone vapor bath, which I believe is significantly safer than heating the stuff. You can read about the process at the reprap forums here.