Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New in town!

New in town!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of 3D printing. I just got hooked after my friend got me one last fall. I got so interested in 3D printers that I have just opened a store that includes DIY 3D printers. So far my customers have been finding the experience pretty good but I want to make sure that I understand everything that is involved with the DIY printers. I'm just trying to educate myself. Okay thanks and if anyone has anything that they think I should know, please let me know.

Thanks
    Nicole
    www.onestop3dprintershop.com

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi,

Just from a consumer perspective, I would rather have a shop sell a few 3D printers that they know are well-engineered reliable machines than it selling a large amount of them that they know little about. I would like to see a small though nice range of machines that can perform different types of functions or are suited for different types of environments. It is nice to be able to choose from an entry level $400 3d printer towards a more professional one with a closed box, heated bed, multiple extruders etc. I expect the shop owner to be an expert user of these machines. I would also like the shop to sell a lot of spare parts so that for every upgrade, maintenance or repair I know I can rely on my shop.

Same for filaments, I expect it to be great quality and well-tested, the information being available on the site in the form of datasheets. Also deals like coupon codes for the next order, or free shipping when ordering 3 rolls of filament works great because it creates a bond and people are often looking to buy multiple rolls anyway.

And to be on top of the industry, this forum has a great News section. I also use Google Alerts.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Based on what I can see on the site, this is an internet based business. A walk in / store front sort of setup is a bit different. In a store front, being able to show people working versions of various gear can be a plus. They can see first hand what their money gets them. While they are there, they can make a decision to buy this or that device.

On an internet site ... not so much. Information is all over the place. People do research with Google. They then shop for the lowest price independent of that research. If some jerk named Bob has a price $100 lower than yours, Bob gets the bulk of the business. Low margin / high volume is the formula that is going to work (Think Amazon). You need to have enough detail on the site to prove you are a real business and not a scam. You have to have a flow of customers that will vouch for the fact you deliver the right stuff , it works, and it arrives on time.

Put up a research intensive site if you wish with hundreds of pages of pictures and detailed reviews. Spend the time on the endless debates over the importance of a hot bed that heats up 5 seconds faster. It will generate some sales. It will cost a *lot*. Figure that you will spend a couple of weeks with each printer. There are over a hundred printers out there. Keeping it up to date ...yikes. Unless it is always up to date, it's use for research drops off quickly. As that happens, it's customer draw drops off as well.

Bob

Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback, it really made me think about my store and what I would like to do with it in the future. Although I can not try every printer that I provide I only want to sell those that are popular and reliable so that I can keep my customer base. I do provide free shipping and a points incentive but I don't provide any spare parts that you mentioned. Hmm now that's a great idea. As a very good home cook, I'm looking into 3d printers for home or restaurant chefs. Do you know anything about this type of 3d printer?

Anyway thanks for your feedback I do appreciated it and I'm going to follow most of your advise.

Nicole

Thanks Bob,

i will ask my customers to review their experience so far and ensure that I do a lot research on each product, which I have for the most part. I don't want to appear like a scam, i believe in this industry and I want to be here in the long run. I will consider what you suggested.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and for the record - you're in canada :-)

As far as 3d printers for chefs go. At the moment you can get paste extruders that are good for chocolate, sugar paste and similiar type substances.
    There are also machines around that make pancakes/crepes - but obviously with patterns and shapes, words etc

There are a couple of high end commercial machines, in development - not sure if the one I'm thinking about is commercially available yet.

One other thing to consider are printers that do nail decorating. Saw one at tct last year, very clever and a good investment for a small salon. As after the initial investment the running costs are very low compared to a person painting them by hand.
    And not many people sell them yet.

Yes I'm a proud Canadian. Oh wow, nail decorations now that is a pretty great idea. I want to go to a local trade show and see what's up. I"m going to look into that computer it sounds great.

Thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Given the way shipping works, I would highlight your location. Having it come as a "surprise" in the checkout (or shipping) process is *not* what you want. As the site now presents it's self, it is not at all easy to figure out your location. If you happen to have some sort of US shipping deal (you are just across from Buffalo...) that would be worth mentioning as well.

One of the issues of doing honest reviews on gear is that some of the stuff is less than perfect. Unless the review points out the limitations of the unit, it's not all that useful. Manufacturers are often unhappy when dealers say bad things about their products. You also have a very basic question of: which one should I buy? I know nothing and have no experience and have no budget. Unfortunately it is a common question and the expectation is that the answer will be very specific and emphatic (= the only possible choice is to buy this model from that outfit). Any time you give those sort of answers (as a dealer) manufacturers get unhappy.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input as for the shipping I offer free shipping in North America. Doing business is a balancing act between customers, manufacturers and my integrity. But I'm up for it so I'll tread lightly.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I would suggest that you go into more detail on the site about shipping. Some services are more expensive than others and some deliver quicker than others. Some work better to some places than others. (I'm trying *very* hard not to bash anybody specific here ...). A package that takes over a week to get here by one method might take a day to get here by another (equally priced) method. Unfortunately I have a *lot* of data on that sort of thing. I understand that a 60 Kg printer may ship the same way as a sample of filament. That may make it a bit tough to explain...

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast