Close

Endstops explantation

Hello, i'm building reprap RAMPS 1.4 3D printer, but i want some explantation about endstops

If connect + to - it turns off printer

There is an third cable - blue - what it is?

It's all right? I thought that endstops dont turns off printer, but only tells printer that axis is on minimum/maximum.

Engineer-in-Training
    If you are wiring + and - (technically called Vcc and Ground respectively) to an end stop sooner or later you are going to fry your board by shorting it out. So if I'd be you I'd rather not keep doing that!. The shorting is probably the reason your printer turns off.

The cable colours are not much of an indication of what they may be, every manufacturer is going to have their own choices. However it is fairly standard to use red for Vcc and black for Ground. Blue could be used to indicate a signal wire, and I presume that's the one you have to wire to the end stop swith plus either one Vcc OR Ground wire (not both!!!) Again that depends on what board and/or firmware you use, some my requiere a Signal/Vcc wiring, some a Signal/Ground one. It would be easier if you'd provide more information about your setup.

In the meantime I hope you haven't fried your RAMPS yet...

i tried to wire signal and - and it works RAMPS it's in 100% condition, thanks for advices

Although this video relates to the MakerFarm Prusa i3, the method of wiring the endstop switch is pretty universal for RepRap printers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s4A6J8U2vc

Once you have your switches wired in, and you are ready to print, you might find this useful:

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...dstop-switches

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 03-29-2014 at 08:06 PM.