Close

Any Good Support Generators out there?

Hey all!

Finally received my Pirate 3D Buccaneer the other day and I've been having trouble printing out some of the more complex parts I've been waiting to print for so long.

Are there any good programs out there that can generate supports and save in a .STL format?

I'm talking about supports to allow printing of overhang features, not supports to secure the part to the base.

Any advice on how to print parts like this are appreciated!

Overhang Part Example.jpg
    This part must be printed with the overhang on top due to internal features.

Thanks!
    Tim

I'm wondering this same thing. I never know how to create supports. Do most people do it manually or are there softwares out there that can create the supports in needed positions automatically?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I use both Cura and Kisslicer to produce supports. They automatically do it during slicing if you turn it on.

I think Kisslicer's is easier to remove and I prefer it. The attachment points are more delicate so it makes it easier to break the supports away and leaves less to trim. What I don't like about Kisslicer is that it does not connect to the machine. I have to write my GCode to a card and carry it over. That's not a big deal but it is convenient. But, when I want really, really nice supports, I use Kisslicer.

Most of the time the supports are not that critical as long as they are there. And for that reason, I spend most of my time in Cura.

Slic3r creates supports also. I've just moved away from Slic3r as I've begun to like Cura better. Slic3r does not have a 3d view of the model to be printed so you can't see your supports in a viewport. Both Cura and Kisslicer have very nice 3d previews of both the part and the supports.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tperr24 View Post
    Hey all!

Finally received my Pirate 3D Buccaneer the other day and I've been having trouble printing out some of the more complex parts I've been waiting to print for so long.

Are there any good programs out there that can generate supports and save in a .STL format?

I'm talking about supports to allow printing of overhang features, not supports to secure the part to the base.

Any advice on how to print parts like this are appreciated!

Overhang Part Example.jpg
    This part must be printed with the overhang on top due to internal features.

Thanks!
    Tim
    Well you could make it yourself?

Simple make a few 1x1 sticks in a sketch, extrude it, so your plastic has at the edge of the overhang something to stick on,
    Afterwards you can just snap it off.