Hey guys,

I thought I would share some more tips on some issues you can face, especially once you start getting your hands dirty and change filament alot and generally start to tinker.

One major problem I have found with many many filaments, is what I call the Bastard Bulb. This small bulbous shape forms when the plastic sits inside a very hot chamber and simply expands. I find if a filament is left in the exrtuder for a long time (a long time is a day or two for me) I have problems getting my filament out - it starts to unwind but then jams solid..

What you can't see, is this on the underside of the extruder gear

So you get this problem (which you can't see) where the filament is stuck. You try Feeding the extruder, you try Un-feeding it, nope. its stuck solid..

So you pull a bit harder

and pull a bit more harder and...

SNAP!!!

oh crap..

Now, before proceeding, of course remove the offending piece in the above picture so the path is clear for new filament.

DON'T PANIC!!!

I know I know, I thought the same thing. "How on earth can I fix this?? the filament is past the gear, so there is no way to push this through!!!

Yes, there is.

Reassemble your motor and extruder. Put it all back in.

Select change filament from the menu, wait for it to get hot.

WAIT! Be patient. We don't want to try just yet. Wait for a few minutes , let that annoying piece stuck in the nozzle get nice and squishy.

NOW feed some more filament though the top. You will find the new filament pushes that little piece through! no new nozzle required!

Phew