Close

Does 3D Printing = More Plastic Pollution?

I know there are a lot of problems with plastic pollution all around the world, particularly in the oceans. Do you guys think that with the increasing population of 3D printing, we will have even more issues? I know there is a lot of filament waste, and I'm sure a lot of people will eventually send their prints to the landfill, where they won't be biodegradable. I think this means we urgently need to make some progress in printing with recycled materials, or we could have some major issues in the next couple decades.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I tend to agree with you. If the reports are correct and a large majority of US households are poised to own 3d printers then we need to help foster the proper education about waste disposal. I can foresee a separate bin at each house at the curb that is for 3d waste only (business opportunity?). Or else, there needs to be a neat and easy to use filament recycler. The ones being developed are leading the way but they still look like wicked DYI mad scientist projects. Once someone designs one that looks like a big bread maker and spits out 3mm (or 1.75mm) filament neatly wound on a spool, then waste may not be too big an issue. Unfortunately, many people will just throw the bad prints away and not worry about it. What makes that worse is that filament is already pretty cheap per part and it's only going to get cheaper.

So I'm with you. It's going to be an issue. We (people like us in these forums) need to make sure we do our part and be responsible. We all need to spread the word and volunteer where we can when efforts to manage 3d waste become available.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

I don't recycle or throw bad prints out, I keep them all locked up in a big box never to see the light of day again lol. I can't risk more pollution for this planet but I still have to work

I've seen the diy filament kits but I'm not really interested in one at this point.

That said, I'm positive new legislation will come into play if home based 3D printing becomes the norm.
    Last edited by MeoWorks; 03-25-2014 at 03:28 PM.

I don't recycle or throw bad prints out, I keep them all locked up in a big box never to see the light of day again lol. I can't risk more pollution for this planet but I still have to work
    LOL, what do you plan on doing with it then? If you don't recycle it, it will eventually make its way to a landfill

One day, when I'm not as lazy...I will grind them up, dry them out, and recycle them to a useable state again

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    PLA is biodegradable...

Also, just like MeoWorks, I have a giant box filled with smaller boxes. Each box in the larger box is for a different color plastic.

I've never thrown out a single scrap of plastic.

Student
    Remember the days when we used to throw out our ink jet cartridges or toner cartridges, now they are recycled into new carts. The same will happen with 3d plastics. Someday soon when you go to Stapes or Office Depot to get your new filament, you could turn in your old 'stuff' which will get recycled into new filament. We are just on the front end of the curve, but it will happen. BTW PLA is recyclable right now. Russ