Close

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Couple of notes for *total* noobs doing this with the newer Creator Pro.

It's not as hard as it sounds. It's mostly time consuming due to the lack of instructions available to you.

Notes on the instructions in the first post:

Your step screws are on the back of the bar the extruders are attached to. This means that like the second guy posting with the wooden kit, you're going to have to disassemble the whole extruder.

Because you have to disassemble the extruder it is entirely possible to push the extruder head up too far. It will prevent you from being able to reattach the plate because the back screw won't be long enough...this is a lesson that cost me an extra 45 minutes to figure out when I couldn't get the back screw to reach the plate.

Basics and things to know/do before you start:

With projects like this every time you remove a piece take a picture. You'll feel stupid, but it is so nice to refer back to them. Occasionally Flashforge will change the assembly/parts used and so knowing exactly what your specific machine looked like as opposed to what someone elses looked like will be very useful.

Turn the machine off, and unplug it before you disassemble. Ground yourself before you disassemble. You can do this by touching the bottom screw of the nearest light switch.

Get a bowl/deep plate/bead container. You're going to be taking a lot of small pieces apart and it's super easy to lose them. Every time you take of a screw or other piece drop it in the container. You may want multiple so that you keep the pieces separated by where they go.

When you take off the first fan put a small piece of blue tape on it so that you remember which fan goes on which side. The step motors(big silver black pieces that feed the filament) can't be put back on the wrong side as long as you pay attention to the spring, and you'll get the bar right as long as you remember that the set screws go towards the back, but the fans getting mixed up could prevent proper cooling and result in damage to the machine if you don't pay attention.

Supplies:-
    -A bowl(s) or set of containers for the pieces as you take it apart
    - The wrench set you got with the printer. If the hex wrenches don't fit the screws they aren't screws you need to worry about.
    - A large but thin hardcover book
    Optional:
    - A grounding wrist strap

Steps:
    1. Unload filament then turn off and unplug the machine
    2. Ground yourself. Easiest way is usually to touch the bottom screw of a nearby light switch.
    3. Take your hex wrench that came with the machine and detach the extruder
    4. Lift the extruder up and place the book over the top opening of the machine. This will give you a decent working space for disassembly.
    5. Begin by removing a fan. Behind the fan is some weird looking pieces of metal. They help cool the stepper motors and are pretty vital. Don't lose them of the white plastic things. Remember the order they came off in(pictures pictures and more pictures)
    6. Follow same steps to remove the other fan
    7. There are two screws running from the extruder bar to the plastic plate on the top, Remove the first one completely.
    8. Undo the second screw, You can leave it and the plate attached or you can remove them and set them aside.
    9. The extruder bar should be free. Note the positioning of the wires. Should run in between the stepper motors.
    10. Flip the extruder bar over. Remove both set screws(refer to images in first post) Do NOT lose the set screws. They are tiny. They are the main reason you're going to want a bowl.
    11. Pull the nozzles down slightlyBe somewhat gentle, you'll want to use a twisting motion. There may be a "pop" on the first twist before it starts to come down, this is normal, just don't overdo it and be mindful of the wires attached to the back.
    12. Reassemble everything without reattaching to the printer or putting the set screws back in.
    13. With the everything reattached you won't have to measure the nozzle height. Simply push them back up as high as they can go under gentle pressure.
    14. Disassemble again, being careful not to bump the extruders out of place.
    15. Replace the set screws
    16. Reassemble the extruder, placing it, but not attaching it, on the holder for it in the printer
    17. Turn printer back on and test loading filament.
    18. During heating pay attention to which fan turns on. If you put the fan on the wrong side remove the fans and put them on the correct side.
    18. Make sure that the filament extrudes in a straight line. Let it extrude for a while(minimum 30 seconds) to ensure that there isn't a blockage.
    19. once filament extrudes correctly turn everything back off, and reattach the extruder with screws.
    20. Level the build plate
    21. do a test print

If the print comes out alright you're golden!
    Last edited by GamerDarling; 01-24-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    If you are interested, I designed this to get rid of the little grub screws. It also increases the contact area on the heat barrier tube since it wraps tightly around it. With the stock design the grub screw will always push the tube to one side and leaves an air gap on the grub screw side.

It is designed to be easy to change the extruder heights and set the to exactly the same height.

http://store.wmdproducts.com/index.p...&product_id=62
    What is the wait time on getting one of these? I see they are on pre-order status?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Hi, just sold the last one a couple days ago, except for the one I am using. :-)

Wasn't sure if I was gonna do another run but wouldn't you know when you run out all the sudden demand picks up. lol

I can have more in a couple weeks but I was gonna see if a few preorders could come in before committing to a production run.

Hi, just sold the last one a couple days ago, except for the one I am using. :-)

Wasn't sure if I was gonna do another run but wouldn't you know when you run out all the sudden demand picks up. lol

I can have more in a couple weeks but I was gonna see if a few preorders could come in before committing to a production run.
    How hard is the install process for it? Is there any soldering involved, or is it just reassembly?

Super Moderator
    Very easy, it is some disassembly and reassembly. The most important thing is smoothing the thermal barrier tube. The set screw that normally holds it in place gouges into the metal, this has to be fully smoothed out and polished for the tube to slide up and down properly.

Student

Are you still taking pre-orders? Not sure if you sent in your production run.

Super Moderator
    Yep, still taking pre orders. Should have them ready to ship in 2 weeks.

Super Moderator
    Wow, how does time fly so fast? Sorry for any delays in shipping out. Finally have these in production after a few delays. It won't be long now. I'm not sure how many are on the board that pre-ordered since it is difficult or impossible to associate a name with an email. If you want chime in here and let me know or PM your email and I will give a more detailed status update.

Thanks

Technologist
    I had thought my build plate was warped, but since adjusting the extruder heights to be even, plate leveling works better and is easier.

This process should be on the printer setup list.

Wow, how does time fly so fast? Sorry for any delays in shipping out. Finally have these in production after a few delays. It won't be long now. I'm not sure how many are on the board that pre-ordered since it is difficult or impossible to associate a name with an email. If you want chime in here and let me know or PM your email and I will give a more detailed status update.

Thanks
    Are there any for sale that are not pre-orders?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast