Close

Career change into 3d printing?

Hello everyone. I am a middle aged man looking to change careers out of necessity. Can anyone give me information in the relatively new field of 3d printing? What must I learn to get into it? What does it entail? What is the pay scale?
    I have experience as a printer and graphic artist. As I have stated, I am a middle aged man who has been discriminated against because of my age, so I worry if I can even get into this field.
    Any words of advice would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Engineer
    Hey, do you have CAD experience with 3D objects? If so you are half way there. There are some positions available out there, mostly in manufacturing, so experience in the field is probably needed. In the next 3-4 years I envision a huge increase in 3D printing job growth. I would recommend buying a printer if you don't already have one to at least familiarize yourself with how they work. Having said this, the printers within a manufacturing atmosphere are entirely different then those you use at hope. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Hey, do you have CAD experience with 3D objects? If so you are half way there. There are some positions available out there, mostly in manufacturing, so experience in the field is probably needed. In the next 3-4 years I envision a huge increase in 3D printing job growth. I would recommend buying a printer if you don't already have one to at least familiarize yourself with how they work. Having said this, the printers within a manufacturing atmosphere are entirely different then those you use at hope. Goodluck
    Thank you.
    I have a lot of graphics experience but not CAD. Perhaps it's time to learn. Any recommendation on which software to get to learn CAD? I would imagine that a 3d printer is expensive these days.
    Thanks again.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleManMe View Post
    Hello everyone. I am a middle aged man looking to change careers out of necessity. Can anyone give me information in the relatively new field of 3d printing?

[Sure, we can give you information if you ask the right questions.]

What must I learn to get into it? What does it entail? What is the pay scale?

[Get into what? Building printers, operating them, selling them? If you want a job in a factory making them, it would help to have assembly-line experience. If you want to operate one for a service bureau, experience in doing that would qualify you. If you want to sell them for a company that makes them, a sales background would be what they'd look for. Pay would be commensurate with experience, but the field is full of underfunded start-ups, so pay scales aren't high.]

I have experience as a printer and graphic artist. As I have stated, I am a middle aged man who has been discriminated against because of my age, so I worry if I can even get into this field.

Any words of advice would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    [This field is mostly populated by younger people, and age discrimination isn't exactly unheard-of in it. Your printing and graphic-arts background is not likely to be very helpful, unless you get into the promotional side of the business.]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleManMe View Post
    Thank you.
    I have a lot of graphics experience but not CAD. Perhaps it's time to learn. Any recommendation on which software to get to learn CAD? I would imagine that a 3d printer is expensive these days.
    Thanks again.
    Your graphics experience will help you with the first step in creating something - sketching your idea on paper.

Have a look at this thread: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...e-for-Modeling where we are discussing CAD for learners.

You can purchase a suitable printer quite easily for under $1000. Have a look at the section here for specific makes of printers. I would suggest that as your first printer you invest in a filament printer. You can buy an off-the-shelf, plug-n-play printer, or if you have time to spare to put one together, you can buy a kit and assemble it yourself.

Old Man Emu

Honestly I don't think there are too many 3D Printing related jobs out there right now. Give it another 5 years and there will be a ton, but if you are looking to switch to a 3D printing related job, it probably won't be easy to find one. Most 3D printing companies are looking for young minds unfortunately. They are looking for people that have experience with all the new 3D modeling software.

So I guess a guy in his 50s doesn't have much of a chance? What if I learn the software?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    MiddleManMe, don't throw in the towel just yet. You are far from being put out to pasture. I would disagree that the filed is populated by younger people. Without a demographic study that assumption bears little weight. It's possible that the age demographic of first-time RepRap printer owners is a younger crowd looking for ways to print iPhone cases and game controller knobs, but I'd venture to guess that most of the people who have been critical to the development of the technologies that have fostered this industry are in their 40's and 50's. That's because it takes some time to develop skills to be able to design and produce components for new technologies. Learning to design, prototype, test and manufacture the parts for a hot-end are very different for a kid learning computer skills, programming and hacking (not the destructive kind). Don't get me wrong, programming and hacking are critical to this industry. But there is noting about this industry that is tailored to younger people except for their willingness to accept new ideas and concepts. Many 40ish and 50ish people get set in their ways and forget how to embrace new things. Mind you I said "many" and not "all."

I've been experimenting with 3d printing since just last year but I've been a designer and 3d animator for 29 years and I'm just now feeling that I'm beginning to reach full speed and my tachometer is still only half way to the red-line. I often read articles about 50ish people being labeled as dead to the employment population but you have consider the industries. Sure, if you've only been a master pipe fitter your whole life and have done nothing else, maybe. But, in the creative, design and thinking world, you never age out. You don't have to have spiked hair, wear Tims or wear checkered jeans to be an active catalyst in this industry. Don't make assumptions about what the world "might" think of you and your age. You are in control of your future. Jump in with both feet, learn and experiment. If you have talent and determination then you'll find a way to make it work for you.

Having said that, at this time, owning one 3d printer and printing 3d objects will not replace your day job. You just can't print fast enough and charge enough to make it into a profitable business. But, you can get into the industry for less than $1500 and begin to learn. Then you can find a fit for your skills and interests and market yourself with this new found expertise. With passion and diligence you'd succeed if you really have the desire and fortitude.

Learning sophisticated 3d software would be helpful but not critical. There are a number of free 3d programs available that allow you to make some pretty complex objects. If you are at all competent with a computer you should have no problem. Search this site for discussions about 3d printing software for guidance. It takes years to master programs like 3ds Max and Maya but you can do a lot of work with 3d printers without that mastery. But, if you start learning 3d software now (go get something like Blender...it's free and uber powerful), in two years you'll be pretty darn good and look back at this post and chuckle.

This industry is wide open right now. No one can speculate where it will be in 5 or 10 years with any reliability. There is just no way to know. What we do know is that right now it's a freight train going downhill with no brakes and it is accelerating. You could not have picked a better time to jump into the fray. For the first time the technology is attainable by almost anyone, of any age or gender.

So, hop on board because worst case scenario, you'll have a way to make useful items for your family. Best case scenario, you'll find a new career and prosper in it.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Student
    One area where there is a massive demand is the ability to educate students in 3Dprinting in schools. Depends if you want to become a teacher though.......

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Put yourself around innovators - like at makerspaces.

If you have a non-abrasive personality and either expertise or just a willingness and ability to learn, you will be offered work. Maybe not for much money to start, but that depends on the situation.