Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone try Dr. Fluff's Robot Factory App?

Has anyone tried using Dr. Fluff's Robot Factory App?

Looks pretty cool, especially for the kids in the family.

It let's you create mini figurines of a customized robot, and then have it printed. Apparently a 4 year old on Thingiverse created this:

Does anyone know if you can print these out on your own printer if you have one, or are you obligated to using the app's service?

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Is the page in Spanish for anyone else? I can get it to translate but it's still a bit off.
    Also, a bunch of red flags popped up in my head when I hit the install button on my MacBook and it told me this:
    Network communication
    full network access
    view network connections
    Phone calls
    read phone status and identity
    Storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    System tools
    test access to protected storage

I understand the Network and Storage stuff (Maybe not that it can delete things), but why does the program need to access my system tools or "read phone status and identity"?

I understand the Network and Storage stuff (Maybe not that it can delete things), but why does the program need to access my system tools or "read phone status and identity"?
    That's a very interesting point. Most people don't read this stuff, but this does seem a bit fishy to me.

Hi there..so pleased people are using our app.. were a small start up company in Chile.. so would love community input..

Qoes anyone know if you can print these out on your own printer if you have one, or are you obligated to using the app's service?
    A: no not at all, we upload to shapeways your file, but also send you the stl via email
    Q:
    why does the program need to access my system tools or "read phone status and identity"?
    A: we need this to be able to send you the file via email.. nothing "fishy" at all. we love 3d printing, and we want anyone to be able to create for these fantastic machines, even kids. we have a outreach program with rural free schools here in south america that we do for the love of it.. you can check out our videos on our website. www.thinkerthing.com you'll see "fishy" is very far from what we are about.

final note, were in beta at the moment, give us your feedback!

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by thinker thing View Post
    Hi there..so pleased people are using our app.. were a small start up company in Chile.. so would love community input..

Qoes anyone know if you can print these out on your own printer if you have one, or are you obligated to using the app's service?
    A: no not at all, we upload to shapeways your file, but also send you the stl via email
    Q:
    why does the program need to access my system tools or "read phone status and identity"?
    A: we need this to be able to send you the file via email.. nothing "fishy" at all. we love 3d printing, and we want anyone to be able to create for these fantastic machines, even kids. we have a outreach program with rural free schools here in south america that we do for the love of it.. you can check out our videos on our website. www.thinkerthing.com you'll see "fishy" is very far from what we are about.

final note, were in beta at the moment, give us your feedback!
    This app is incompatible with all of your devices. !!!

Great app! My son has been fiddling around with it. We haven't ordered anything yet but probably will soon.

Che, what do you mean that it is incompatible with all of their devices?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixtix View Post
    Che, what do you mean that it is incompatible with all of their devices?
    The app is country-limited. I can't install it up here in Canada. Presumably Che is also in a country that isn't on the "allowed" list.

Student
    yeap !! Greece is also "not allowed" ...

so how can we give feedback ?
    Last edited by che; 03-27-2014 at 02:44 AM.

it is now available in all countries...thanks again.facebook-RobotFactory-2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast