Close

Banned

1 In 3 Americans Ready For a 3D Printer

I was pretty amazed after reading that 33% of Americans are ready to have a 3D printer in their home. Considering that right now, probably only 0.5% of households own a 3D Printer, this could mean we are primed for explosive growth in the next few years.

Cel Robox is the company which sponsored the survey, which was given to 1000 American. They claim that 1 in every 3 who filled the survey out said that they would consider purchasing a 3D Printer sometime this year. The report, which was explained on Forbes' website said that there are 4 main categories of 3d printer owners which are as follows:

The main 3-Desire: The ability to print everyday items instead of purchasing them from a store was the most appealing feature (36 percent), followed by the ability to print items to help fix things around the house (35 percent).

Getting crafty: More than one in five (21 percent) want a 3D printer to create customized jewelry and accessories, while more than one in four (28.5 percent) want a 3D printer to create personalized accessories for their gadgets.

DIY, I do: One in three (33 percent) want a 3D printer to help create personalized gifts for other people. 3D printers may also make inroads in the $53.4 billion wedding industry, with 17 percent of Americans saying they would use a 3D printer to print homemade wedding favors.

A nation of innovators: Ten percent would like a 3D printer at home to help them invent and prototype new products or technologies. Now, this one really caught my eye because I believe this is one of the biggest reasons people are considering a 3D printer. We are a nation of tinkerers, of do-it-yourself types, of two people in a garage planning to change the world.

Now, I assume that the poll was not scientific, meaning that the method that Cel Robox used to attract those answering the survey may have not been random. After all they are a 3d printing company and likely gave the survey to people somewhat interested in the technology. Either way, these numbers are pretty amazing, considering.

Cel Robox, as well as numerous other companies are pushing the envelope to try and develop a 3D printer which is cheap enough for mass adoption, while also easy to learn. The next year or two will be interesting as I do believe prices will plummet. For what its worth Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee, were the states who's residents were most likely to purchase a 3D printer in 2014. Any idea why the south seems to be the more popular place for these devices?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Coming originally from the south I know that a lot of people are "hands-on" make it yourself kind of people, especially in the very rural areas. There is also a lot of disdain for "corporate America" and the price gouging that many of them think they see going on. Those people are rural but that doesn't mean they are dumb. Because pretty much everyone has had to lean enough about computers to get an Epson or HP printer to work, I think that those same people see the 3d printer as a way to produce inexpensive daily items for themselves and cut out "the man."
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

The bottleneck for the first and third groups in that population will be the inability to create the stl file that will be needed to print the object. I wonder what the result of a survey amongst members here would be to the question: "Are you capable of creating an *.stl file in order to print a simple household item?" would be.

Old Man Emu

Engineer
    1 in 3.....i dont see it. i mean who did they give this survey to? i know i could go out right now and ask 30 people if they know what a 3d printer is and 2 might say they have heard of it. now you goto maybe NYC or another big city then those numbers might go up a little but 1 in 3. i dont think so.

Student
    When the report said 1 in 3 homes are ready for a 3dprinter... well its kind of a broad statement. My parents home is ready for a 3dprinter as they have a desk and a computer with an electricity supply. Does that mean they fit into that catergory? Only 1000 people interviewed is a very small number of people. If the amount of people interviewed was 100,000 or one million then it would be more credible.

In my view I hope 1 in 3 homes do adopt it though!!!!

I was pretty amazed after reading that 33% of Americans are ready to have a 3D printer in their home. Considering that right now, probably only 0.5% of households own a 3D Printer, this could mean we are primed for explosive growth in the next few years.
    I wish I knew exactly what "ready to have a 3D printer" meant. Does it mean that the home is physically capable to have a 3D printer, or does it mean that 33% of people would use a 3d printer if they had one? It's kinda unclear, but if it's the former, than I would say it's a lot more than 33%. If it's the latter, than my guess is that it is incorrect.

Student
    Add BuildTheBot on Facebook
    I think the 33% figure is a bit overly optimistic. Its still kind of a nerd thing to have, people think its cool but when it comes down to it how many of the people poled are willing to sit down and figure out the software and actually design and build anything. I love to invent yet at times I have to talk myself into the process because many aspects are very mundane.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I don't believe that 1 in 3 American households have a standard paper printer.

Staff Engineer
    Maybe those Southerners were just being polite to the nice man who asked them if they'd "consider" buying a 3D printer. Sure, and if it cost a dollar, came with free supplies, and could print beer by the case and cigarettes by the carton, they might actually buy one...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com