Close

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    I have used my fdm printer to make parts that in the past year was enough to pay for my printer 6-7 times over. It wasnt a cheap printer either. There are many other people in the same boat. As just a printing service where you are printing a part for someone then i have to agree with everyone else. Its a pia and no money to be made irregardless of the printing technology. If you have a low production run of a product and need plastic parts then thats a different story.
    I was planning on printing my own design/inventions and selling those. I wasn't planning on offering a service. From what I've heard it seems like a nightmare.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    good luck with the inventions :-)

How is printing files for people and not doing any admin a nightmare ?

You can sell things you make - but you'll need to find something people want that isn't easy to get.

And that's harder than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    good luck with the inventions :-)

How is printing files for people and not doing any admin a nightmare ?

You can sell things you make - but you'll need to find something people want that isn't easy to get.

And that's harder than it sounds.

It just sounded like offering a printing service was a ton of work from what the other posters here said. I thought one person said they made close to 7 times the amount of their printer with the products they sold. I just thought selling useful stuff would be easier than offering a service.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    look at 3dhubs.

basically a3d printing service that matches people who want stuff printed with people who print stuff.

I'll be signing up soon :-)

And for the record - at the moment fdm produces stronger and more durable models than 'cheap' (under $10000) sla machines. Also faster and with a lot more available materials.

Okay you probably an't do 0.02mm layer resolution. But then who wants to spend all day printing something 1 cm high ?
    This obsession with detail is somewhat pointless. The vast majority of things people want made can be readily printed at .2mm.

I would personally charge more for anything printed at 0.1mm.
    My boss does. He's obssessive with every details and working with him is a nightmare. He even dared and ask me to print at 20microns!

TBH, I like the SLA much better at least when its unique purpose is for demonstration. Looks much more professional. When it comes to CEO visiting, you got to do everything to impress him

Im printing at a .1 mm layer height. You do get lines yes. But as an artist and a sculptor, smoothing the lines out is just part of the job. Add in a vapor smoothing techniques and the lines literally blur away. I too have made every cent back off my printer purchase. I encourage any one who is creative with the patients for learning to get into 3d printing. Its not for every one and at the same time is. It so funny to here and see others reactions to the idea you can print all most anything. Happy printing every one FJ

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by FoyJustie View Post
    Im printing at a .1 mm layer height. You do get lines yes. But as an artist and a sculptor, smoothing the lines out is just part of the job. Add in a vapor smoothing techniques and the lines literally blur away. I too have made every cent back off my printer purchase. I encourage any one who is creative with the patients for learning to get into 3d printing. Its not for every one and at the same time is. It so funny to here and see others reactions to the idea you can print all most anything. Happy printing every one FJ
    Well, you can get away with .2 or even .3mm. If you don't mind doing fine extra work such as sanding or painting. It is also a good alternative if you want to stay away from acetone vapor bath.
    I myself avoid acetone as much as I can when I got intoxicated.

I use my 3d printer mostly for my personal hobby. When I get to improve on my craft, I might one day make it into a business. This is something I really look forward to as I really enjoy printing things that I designed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Well, you can get away with .2 or even .3mm. If you don't mind doing fine extra work such as sanding or painting. It is also a good alternative if you want to stay away from acetone vapor bath.
    I myself avoid acetone as much as I can when I got intoxicated.
    I'm not opposed to post processing at all. If I get enough interest in my initial products I am definitely going to buy one. I can sell art and functional products as well. I don't really even want to make a business out of it I am just looking to recover the cost of my printer.

Would anybody be interested in selling their 3d models online for others to download? Sort of like a marketplace where you can buy and sell 3d blueprints.

Student
    you can start making copies of celebrities like they did on MVs recently, then maybe promote it on some fanpage of that celeb, worth to try though
    or some common board game for DIY design
    Last edited by Daniel9292; 10-29-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast