Close

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoWorks View Post
    OR you can simply take your first print and cast it to a workable material such as wax and make your adjustments there and then use that wax master to make resin copies. It takes work, but hey, nothing is easy.
    Hi.
    I've already talked about post-processing and why I don't see how that will work for the things I mentioned. In short: try to use acetone vapor or sandpaper to get a good quality results on things which have symmetry (most of what I mentioned does).

I'm just rambling now but it just seems like you expect these printers to be mini factories that'll do all the work for you. It's just a tool
    Not really what I'm expecting.
    You can technically use a screwdriver instead of a hammer. They're "just tools", right? I hear this statement a lot, not just here, but in computer software and any hardware. They're all just tools, but there's a reason why so many musical artists use Ableton Live and graphics artists use Photoshop. It doesn't all depend on the artist, the tool has to be good too. Yes, you can create a masterpiece in Microsoft paint, but it isn't practical. I'm a 3d modeller btw, I don't expect the 3d printer to do the work for me, I'm spending my time and using my skills to design the objects in 3d, design them in the best possible way for the 3d printer, because I understand how 3d printers work, how to operate them and all that. I don't just expect to press print as you can see.

Then you're just arguing in circles. What do you want out of a 3D printer? What is it you expect them to do?

No one here responding seem to get what you're trying to ask or imply because you seem to have a comeback for every response given lol.

Technician
    Then you're just arguing in circles. What do you want out of a 3D printer? What is it you expect them to do?
    With all due respect, did you even read the very first post?

No one here responding seem to get what you're trying to ask or imply because you seem to have a comeback for every response given lol.
    Well you're wrong, because of everything below this:

post number:
    #1 - me listing what I think can be printed for selling but saying that I think the quality of the prints (and so printers) as well as results from post-processing aren't good enough for them and asking others what they print

#5 and 6 - people giving examples which I asked of prints where the quality doesn't matter to the buyer

#9 - I say how the examples won't work for me because they either use 3d printed parts as a small part of something else very specialized they make or they are accessories for somewhat rare things so selling those especially where I'm from won't get me far

#10 - suggested to use thinner layer heights

#12 - suggested to sell virtual 3d models instead for making money

# 13 - suggested to offer 3d printing others designs, to which I replied there are already people here offering such services here with far more precise CNC machines.

#17 - suggested to offer 3d printing for prototyping, I think it's the same as above suggestion

#18 - same as # 12

#21 - same as # 13, 18. Post #22 says 3d prints won't be good enough quality, I think the same way (as I mentioned in # 13)

#24 - being shown that thinner layers actually look good, I agree partially.

#27 - suggested to do post-processing, which I've mentioned in post #1 why I don't think will work.

#28 - same as # 12?

#29 - Your post. (post processing was mentioned in # 27).

Pretty helpful thread to me IMO. Some posts are repeats but all are appreciated.

A disagreeing "reply" to a post isn't a "comeback". if you personally don't understand what I want, then I don't know how else to explain. Thanks for trying to help any way. Can we continue with the topic?
    Last edited by cipher0; 04-15-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Student
    I've compiled some statistical data at WiZE3D | History of 3D Printing. My new website designed to help encourage someone like yourself to buy a 3D printer, or better yet start a business!

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    Wise3D, why don;t you post your findings here, instead of just advertising your site.

Student
    It's WiZE 3D Rob. And because forums are a great place to get constructive criticism. Why don't you stay on topic instead of antagonizing people

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post
    Articles keep popping up on the internet that you can get your money spent on your 3d printer by selling your 3d prints and maybe even start a small business.
    I don't own a 3d printer yet, but i have been researching this field and i see while the fun as a hobby is satisfying enough, i dont see how you could sell anything you 3d printed for profit.
    Does anyone here sell his 3d prints for profit? What would that be?
    Because lets look at an example from one of those articles:
    Iphone cases. While there are some flexible filaments, how can even the highest resolution of modern 3d printers produce a case which looks aesthetically good? They have lines all over them and jagged edges. Not to mention the time it takes to print.
    In an effort to steer this thread back on course...

I sell all sorts of things on Ebay, enough to pay for my printer several times over. Pick a niche market and go for it. I went for hobbies and RC parts, quadcopters etc. The only thing I will say is you need to test your own product. Everything I print and sell I have used myself, so I do not get returns and I make sure they are printed well so people are not unhappy. I have only ever had to give 1 replacement to anyone and to be honest, they were just picky. Find things that are small and easy to print and easy to post to maximise your profit.

Make sure the things you sell are under the 'share a like' commons creative license (or of course if they are your own nevermind) and you can sell them to your hearts content. I have to perfectly honest,it took me quite a few months before my printer was printing at a quality I would say was commercial, but it finally got there.

I also sort of laugh at anyone that says they cannot be a mass production machine. I have a machine here that works night and day.. so far it fulfills all orders in time and if it ever gets to the point where it can't, I'll add another on the assembly line.

With a very very small amount of work (and arduino, 2 servos and some printed parts - and an instructables tutorial...) you can make a very simple device that moves the print (or 'swipes' ) it off the build platform after a certain time, clearing it for an automated process. i.e Your print will take 30 mins, you program it to swipe every 40 mins to allow for cooling. Then the machine (via macro on the PC) starts up and builds a new part. It's not rocket science, and in fact if my dumb ass can do it, anyone can

Technician
    Yeah lets try to get the thread back on track.

WiZE3D, you can make your own topic if you want. You link to your webpage which itself links to your webstore, and other than that contains nothing useful for me. You have little analysis of the 3d printing history there which I don't need and your list of items which can be made by a 3d printer aren't helpful because they are very general and also mention items (cars, bikes, furniture, bone repair, etc) which can only be printed by professional printers worth tens of thousands of dollars, which is also not helpful for me. So you just seem to be trying to advertise your site here.

Anyway, Geoff thanks for your post. Sorry, but it seems the same suggestion as in post 5 and 6. To which I've replied that they are very specialized or they are accessories for somewhat rare things so selling those where I'm from won't get me much because there isn't a demand of such things where I'm from.
    I know this because I know a guy who's been trying to sell GoPro accessories and Arduio stuff here.
    If I'm missing something here, please tell me.
    I don't know, maybe the shipping cost isn't so high for the things you're selling or something else.
    Last edited by cipher0; 04-16-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Student
    Sorry if you don't find my site useful cipher, it's only getting better. However I didn't put my site on here to advertise, sure I'm promoting it, but I'm promoting it to show people what they can do to start making an income with 3D printers. Like this topic asks. And that's only 1 of infinite ways to do it. There's one thing for sure if you plan on making an extra income with 3D printers, and that's that you have to be creative.
    I think it would be fun to design a simplistic 3D printer, print it, purchase the reprap kit or something similar, combine the two and put it online somewhere to see if it gets any hits. The only way you'll know if your idea is worth expanding is to start expanding. Just jump in. The only time better than today to start a 3D printer company was yesterday.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post
    ...they are very specialized or they are accessories for somewhat rare things so selling those where I'm from won't get me much because there isn't a demand of such things where I'm from.
    At this point it sounds like you're just making excuses. No one is going to lay out a plan for you to generate money. There is literally an infinite amount of things you can make with an ever expanding amount of materials. Don't have a printer? Use 3DHubs or shapeways. Don't know how to 3D model? Use Youtube (or learn). Geoff sold his trinkets on eBay which is a global marketplace. No matter where you are in the world, the product will have the same demand because of this thing called the internet. You don't need to worry about where you're from.

The Long Tail of Things.... every item has a demand - whether it is niche or not. The introduction of 3D Printers allows these niche products to actually be made... Because they won't make companies profits companies don't make them.
    The Long Tail of The Internet.... well now you know everyone's niche and the most popular niche's

So my advice is to find these niche markets and conquer it with 3D printing.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast