Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    You do not need to wait to 2025 to get cheap 3d printer.

I can say, as competition gets broader the price will drop. Currently we have several companies competing with each other, even having autocad to make their own machine.
    I predict we can see 300 dollar printer in just 1.5 to 2 years from now on, leading to avarage Joe having it.

I think some of the components of the printers cannot go much lower than they already are : motors, boards, bearings...

So in my opinion the only thing that we'll get better for a similar price are : service, software, assembly quality and design maturity.

There are ALWAYS ways to make things cheaper but inevitably you'll compromise : software, reliability, product assembly quality, durability, print volume... Another way to make it cheaper would be to subsidize it in the consumables cost... not so great either.

I can't see 3D printers dropping any lower than the $250 the MOD-t is currently at. I think this will be the bottom line. However, I do think that SLA printers will continue to drop, as they are still more than they could be. It's just the projectors that will remain a bit pricey

Technologist
    Looks like Makibox is going under now. Check out the thread in the reprap forum. I don't think it is a question of competition driving pricing anymore. These companies can't get parts for any cheaper and are probably making poor business decisions because of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12