Close

Forget Guns - What about PLA/ABS Knives?

There has been so much made among the 3d printing industry about the possible issues with having people 3D print guns. I don't think that guns will be much of an issue until people have printers that can print in metal. However, from what I've seen, there are some pretty strong plastics out there. Knives can be made in Plastic that I feel have some horrible dangers. I'm pretty sure it would be quite easy to sneak a plastic knife through security at various checkpoints.

I saw this design today on Thingiverse

If this is printed with high enough quality filament and it is sized correctly, I could see this being just as deadly as a metal knife.

Then again I've never printed a knife in plastic so I am not 100% certain on this. What are your thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Plastic isn't really hard enough to make a good edge. About the best you'd end up with is equivalent to a prison shiv, and you can make one of those far quicker and cheaper (e.g. file down the end of a toothbrush to a point) than 3D printing this thing.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    Plastic isn't really hard enough to make a good edge. About the best you'd end up with is equivalent to a prison shiv, and you can make one of those far quicker and cheaper (e.g. file down the end of a toothbrush to a point) than 3D printing this thing.
    Indeed, a pointed stick would be more practical, easier to manufacture, affordable and supported by hundreds of thousands years of successful use in poking holes on people. Wouldn't look cool though.

Staff Engineer
    You call that a knife?

Technologist
    I dont think that would be very dangerous nor deadly. You could honestly make a weapon out of anything if you wanted to (i.e. sharpening the end of a toothbrush) so it's really a matter of stopping violent people not stopping violent weapons.