Quote Originally Posted by 3DTOPO View Post
Or - you can buy one brand new for around $1k. Sealed in an enclosure and working with instructions.
I have no idea where they are getting that 15kw rating from a device which runs on 110v single phase. That's simply not possible with any safe currents. You would need 140-150 amps to do so at that voltage.

http://www.mtixtl.com/15KWDualStatio...Q-SP-15AB.aspx

This one pulls 34a from the wall at 240v. That's 8kw, and they are calling it a 15kw unit also. Certainly a LOT more power than those 110v amazon units for around $1k are utilizing. Those ones don't even list an input current rating.

They would have to be using some massive capacitance to charge/discharge 15kw through that coil long enough to actually melt something, but these units claim they can run at 100% constantly... which means they aren't charging anything.

I was referring to building a *proper* 15kw furnace instead of one that is just "kind of" 15kw. The math just doesn't add up. If you have some insight as to how those things are magically taking at most 3500 watts of 110vac (you can run up to 30a on 110v if the wiring and outlets support it) and turning it into 15,000w (at any voltage) please fill me in. I am honestly curious.