Close

A couple 3d printing ideas I’d like an opinion on

Printing with egg white. Egg white solidifies when heated. Taking advantage of this can be used to make a 3d egg white printer. Not much practical use, but it seems like it might be a fun thing. Maybe some restaurants might like to 3d print edible egg white art.

Also a face paint printer would be pretty cool a fairs and such.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bear in mind that uncooked eggwhite has been used as a pretty effective glue and pigment binder for painters for thousands of years.

Not something you'd want gumming up the works.

Thanks for the reply curious aardvark. Since I've posted I've done a bit more searching and found that the egg white thing has already been done. I'm sorry for posting before adequately researching it.

"Some researchers are trying to speed up the process to make 3D-printed food more realistic. Van Bommel's TNO has a process that uses a laser-based technique to locally cook the food (the company used it to cook an egg white into the world's smallest fried egg, less than an inch across). TNO recently demonstrated a machine called PrintValley that aims to accelerate the process. PrintValley runs 100 platforms under deposition nozzles consecutively, assembly-line-style, building up 100 objects about a square inch in size in less than 10 minutes, or about 6 seconds per widget. "We developed this to show it doesn't need to take so long to print a 3D object," van Bommel says."
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...eals-15265101/

I can't find anything about face painting though although maybe I've just not looked hard enough.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Face painting would be tricky with a 3d printer. I've seen printers for nails, they're commercially available.

the fast food printer sounds interesting.