Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    To update you guys. Horne and company have released the first draft of this spool standard.
    More info at http://3dprint.com/27126/3d-printing...spool-standard

To be fair I think credit should be Given to both Richard Horne and The 3D Printing Association which have driven this https://www.the3dprintingassociation...rd-is-released

Engineer-in-Training
    I was going to post a link to the XKCD comic. Because that's what really happens. Heart's in the right place, but with so much investment in current spool types, I don't know if it's going to happen. I know Makerbot isn't going to give up their "filmreel". The next Solidoodle spool looks like a doublewide Taulman spool. 3D Systems has three different cartridge styles for their consumer & low end pro machines. But hey, if a reputable company takes it up, I'll give it consideration for my next purchase. There's a lot of factors that go into who I buy from though.

I always find it interesting when we do non-3d printed solutions for 3d printing?

I look at this as a hobbyist that will print spools for my garage made filament. The stacking and mirroring is impressive.

On 3d printing them I'd like,
    -A bit of a radius to the inside corners to help with strength and delamination
    -If these are 3d printed, I worry that the 'nubbins' used to hold it will break off. Perhaps have the shells wall down and then a 'clip' printed flat that then is used to lock the shells together. If the clip is printed flat and then rotated perpendicular for install, that would give it a lot of strength compared to just all horizontal layers. Maybe the steam injection molded ones are built this way and the 3d printed ones just have holes in place of the nubbins.
    -Make it a system where the real commanality is the size and slope of the center section Then then the end plates could be sized to standard sizes and the middle section could also have flat extenders to make it wider.
    -Some kind of scalloping on the smaller surface circle for better purchase by winding equipment. Rather than just friction between winders, have a bit of a profile for better engagement and spool winding. That is just a thing I see with my filawinder.

My views are influenced by my at home experience.

Why are there such diversity in spool dimensions? From Taulman to the large flat spools???

Student
    Follow A3DTech On Twitter
    As a new printer manufacturer trying to come into the market, I am fully on board with a standard spool size (or sizes). It would be great to incorporate a spool holder in our printer that could hold any spool, but with some of the bizarre shapes and sizes out there, we can't do half of them.

Standardizing a set of spools such as a 500g, 1000g, 1500g, and 2000g would be very beneficial to the entire industry. I like how examples B, D, E, & K all have the same general diameter, they're just thicker or thinner to accommodate a different amount of filament. They seem to have pretty similar inner diameters as well.

Engineer-in-Training
    if you look at 2D printers, there is not open standard for toner and ink cartridges
    But there is for the paper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12